Security +

Discussion in 'Security+' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, May 29, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I was told by a CT course advisor the hottest thing out in IT is security and when you obtain the Security +. IT companies pay you to hack into there systems to see if they are secure?

Q) is this true, when studying the Security+ course do you learn about hacking?

Q) Security+ is done through IBM PC's what about Apples Macs?
    is there a course out there?

Q) Where can you find out where the gap in the IT job market is? In other words what's hot and what's not?

Monkey :biggrin

Edit (J): Moved to Sec+

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I suspect somebody is confused. There is a 'cert' known as 'ethical hacker', but AFAIK Security+ doesn't come close to it.

Again IMHO - 'hacking' is platform neutral - Windows and/or Mac don't really come into it - the tools are mostly available for both.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

security is apparently a *hot* area - but the question is for how long? have a look at CEH here

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Security+ is a basic introduction to IT security concepts and does not prepare you to become an ethical hacker.

only in the most basic of ways.

not likely, though many of the principles can be applied.

what's hot are IT pros that KNOW their stuff, regardless of the area of IT they're in. If having certs were 'hot' I'd be a millionaire!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

I’m currently studying the EC-Council Ethical Hacking course. It’s the most enjoyable Self Study course I’ve ever done :p …… But read below because of the entry requirements………

What are the pre-requisites for taking a CEH exam?
    If you attend CEH training, you are eligible to appear for the CEH examination. If you opt for self study, you must complete the eligibility form and fax it to EC-council for approval.

Is there any eligibility criteria?
    It is mandatory for you to record two years of information security related work experience and get the same endorsed by your employer. In case you do not possess the same you can send us a request detailing your educational background and request for consideration on a case basis.

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello and Thankyou to everybody who repiled to this thread :super

Thanks Zimbo for the link, most interesting and mufftak for information.

Mufftak, I curious to know if the exam is theory or practical?
    Does EC-Council setup a fake company for you to test your skills on?

Monkey 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+