Security+ vs SSCP

Discussion in 'Security+' started by aestudiar, Sep 8, 2012.

1. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Hi,
    I've been studying for the Security+ exam for a while now, and am also thinking of sitting the CISSP in the future, so I got a book on SSCP to read in the meanwhile (which I may also sit).
    It came as a surprise that the level of security concepts in the SSCP is easier than the one in the security+ :ohmy
    So now I'm thinking of sitting the SSCP, Security+ and CISSP in this order.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Really? I passed the Security+ with flying colours, failed the SSCP by 38 points (a couple of questions, give or take) :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I'm guessing this is one where the book under-pitches. I had a book like that before - from the book I bought I thought the exam would be a piece of cake. Wouldn't even need to specifically study. Wrong. It was the closest I've yet come to failing.

I've been reading Hacking Exposed. Think it's the recommended text for the CEH? I even set up a couple of VMs to hack into. Sadly it's an old edition so pretty much all of the exploits and vulnerabilities in it were patched up years ago. Can just about fingerprint the systems...
    It's a hobby...

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

If it really is like a toned down CISSP then the questions are more likely to be scenario based rather than asked you straight forwardly 'what is xyz' like Sec+ does.

It'll be more about how you apply the knowledge rather than just remembering things.

Again I've only done the CISSP so no idea how similar the SSCP is but most of the questions for the former were situation/scenario based from what I remember, although it was a while ago.