Security+ Retiring 2011?

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Lozler, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Hi guys!

Security is one of my favorite things, and after my A+ (booked in a couple of days), Network+ (Booked in August). I wanted to go ahead and do my Security+.

The only problem is that I heard it's retiring in December 2011 and you won't be able to take this exam again. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

I wouldn't have a problem with that but It's just that I would be doing a BSc in Computer Science in September so I would need extra time to do my Security+.

:(

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There are two on the go just now, the old one retires end of year (think that's SY-002 or something). The new one (SY-003?) will continue to be available after the end of the year.
    I was thinking of taking it but the cost is putting me off.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

The Security+ exam is not going any where, they are just updating the content.

SY0-201 expires in December but there is a new version out that you can study for SY0-301.

CompTIA Security+ Certification

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I got the 2 and 3 part right in the exam code at least.

5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

You sure did! hehe :-)

I like your style actually, it gets the questions answered faster and encourages the new members to use Google! :)

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nah - it took him nearly an hour to make an answer up.
    How's that value for money?

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It probably did take that long to write the post. If those pesky users would stop breaking things while I'm in the middle of some important lounging about things would get done faster round here.

8. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Do you think it would put me at a disadvantage for going after the one that retires this year? I've basically been learning about this old content in prepartion to take this exam in August and don't really want to delay it until next year

9. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

It's not that the new one can't be taken this year, they both can, there's just a cross over untill the end of the year when the old one retires.

If you have been studying the old content, do that one, no point in swapping now. When you say 'disadvantage', I assume you mean from a potential employer? I can't really see a situation where one person is chosen over another simply because one person's Sec+ is 2008 vs the others 2010, with that being the only deciding factor.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You simply list it as Security+ on your CV. If they want more info they can ask you at the interview, and that's the whole point of a CV really, to get your foot in the interview door.

11. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

As above,

This is especially true for most entry-level IT jobs that usually involve answering calls, your personality and how you come accross is going to be one of the most important factors. Willingness to learn and enthusiasm for IT counts for a lot.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA