Security permissions question

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by shaggy, Feb 22, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Hey everyone, long time no speak.

Basically ive been writing up a lab on NTFS and Share permissions but im stuck on some extra credit questions and ive been surfing google for hours now trying to solve it. its a really simple question...

What 3 details should you check when a user cant gain access to a resource?

my intial thoughts were: Permissions, Group membership.....and a stab in the dark tells me workgroup? but that wasnt mentioned in the lab so cant help think its not the workgroup.

Cheers for any ideas

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Depends on the user, it might actually be a case that the user cannot logon to start with so cannot access the resource. some users do say they cant print/do something which in actual fact turns out to mean they cannot logon.

Also along the same lines would be network connectivity in general, can they do anything network related, get emails, browse ebay or a file share on another server.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Are the share permissions allowing access? Are the NTFS permissions allowing access? Is there a deny permission on them or a group they belong to? Like Dales said, are they able to physically connect to the share? Able to log on? Is the share on a server that is offline and not available?

Probably loads more.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Without more information provided on this it's hard to decipher what the related permission problem is or what's causing it. If you can supply the appropriate error message then we can further troubleshoot.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

There is no error message, its just an additional question at the end of a lab for one of my classes, the lab was on setting and testing NTFS and share permissions, so i would assume that not being able to log in wouldnt be relevant, would be something based around permissions etc on a particular resource on a network like not being able to access a file or folder

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  6. Simon-MCT

Simon-MCT Bit Poster

On Share permissions a maximum number of concurrent users can be specified, though the default is unlimited on a Server.

If an Admin has specified "10" for example, user no. 11 will not be able to connect even if they have the correct Share and NTFS permissions.

Anyone know what the max is for a share on an XP machine?

Certifications: MCSE:Sec;MCITP; MCTS; MCT; A+,Sec+
    WIP: CCNA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

10 is it not?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

10 Concurrent users, as stated here

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Workgroup is irrelevant.

Does the user have an account on the PC the shared resource is on?

Does the user belong to a group that has accesss rights to the share?

Does the user belong to any groups that have been denied access to the share?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If its the '10 connection' limit then I believe you would get an error message relating to that issue and not the usual access denied message. Its been a while since I have seen that problem tbh.

Was there any answers given to the extra credit questions?

I would go for:

*check the users share permissions
    *check the users NTFS permissions
    *check network connectivity.

The permissions part includes group membership as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)