Security Issue?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nXPLOSi, Mar 26, 2008.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Need a little help with an issue I *think* we're having. Im getting alot of returned emails, an example below..

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Naked Shakira Clip
    Sent: 26/03/2008 07:23

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 26/03/2008 10:12
    The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
    < mx1.hardlines.com #5.1.1 SMTP; 550 5.1.1 User unknown>

Im wondering if somehow these are being sent from us? Perhaps a virus of some sort? I really have no experience in this area!!

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

most likely someone spoofing your address mate. nothing you can really do about it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Looks like a worm to me.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Fergal is spot on. It is almost certainly someone spoofing your address. Quite common - I've been seeing this for some years.

A closer look at the headers should make this obvious.

There is very little that can be done about it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Mmmm-hmmm... that's what they ALL say when they're caught! :rolleyes::twisted: heehee!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Lol BM, it wasn't me, honest boss !! :)

Thanks for the replies guys, most helpful. It is a pain as its increased the amount of crap we're getting quite abit in the last few days, but nevermind, if it cant be helped it cant be helped.

Thanks again !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You will find that this happens in batches. After a few days the bounces will die down as the spammer will someone else's address.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

A suggestion is to ‘remind’ your users of this type of spam tactic and make sure they don’t open any emails and/or attachments they don’t recognize. Reference a specific clause in the employee handbook or other organizational document if possible.

Sounds simple, but it’s amazing how many folks will open an attachment in an email that looks to have bounced back, but they never sent in the first place. :dry