Security certifications

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by CombatRock, Mar 9, 2013.

1. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

Hello guys,

I have recently obtained my CCNA Security (which complies with CNSS 4011 training standard). I am now looking to build upon that and become more qualified in security, ethical hacking and penetration testing - as these are my main areas of interest. I have my CCNA in Routing and Switching and will hopefully obtain my CCNP R/S shortly (i am about to sit the second part).

I have considered going on to do CCNP Security, but i think it is too based on network technologies: mainly prevention systems. I looked at the Certified Ethical hacker certification and t seems more what i am interested in. But the certification costs a fortune to sit (like £400) and i am not sure how valuable it is in the real world or in my country (i live in the Uk).

I want to do something that is more general(vendor natural) but also focuses on penetration testing and the ethical hacking side, at a reasonable level (i don't want to do something too basic, as i do have a fair bit of knowledge at the moment).

I was hoping for some recommendations and information from people who have obtained these types of certifications or worked in these fields.

Thanks

-Andrew

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA SEC, INFOSEC (4011), MCP
    WIP: CCNP (R/S)
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You could try the OSCP. Probably not worth much in the job market, but proves you know your stuff.

3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Industry certs for pen testing in the UK that are well regarded generally fall to anything that gives you CHECK equivalent status, which means either CREST or Tigerscheme.

CeH is ok and good experience to do, but it's not massively well regarded amongst the serious pen testing community, although it's probably enough for an in house security role that touches on the area.

OSCP is another good one to do for the experience and is more highly thought of than CeH, however as above the weight it holds for roles isn't as much as anything that gives you a CHECK status.

And certs in this area tend to cost a decent amount so you'll have to stump up, or find an employer who is willing ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013