Security+ (and other stuff)

Discussion in 'Security+' started by rennellsmc, Apr 7, 2008.

1. rennellsmc

rennellsmc New Member

I just passed my Security+ with an 803/900. I used the CBT Nuggets videos and the Sybex Security+.

I had been spending way too much time working on my degree (graduate June of '09), well not "too much time" but enough that certs have taken a backseat for awhile. I am now trying to play catch up as I would like to have a few certs on my resume when I get my degree.

Does anyone else have any experience with CBT Nuggets? are the MCSE ones pretty good? I know this is a Security+ forum but this is just "the other stuff"

Anyways, I found that some of the quetions were worded pretty strangely, confusing would be a better term I think. There were terms in there that I had not seen in any of my classes, or cert study up to this point. What I thought should be the correct answer was nowhere to be found so I took a Best Guess stab at it. There were not too many to be honest so either I did well on those also or I bombed them and did VERY well on the rest of it. I was hoping for a higher score but hey, a pass is a pass right? Anyways, Congrats to those who have it and best of luck to thos who are taking it soon.

Certifications: A+, Security+, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE: Security, CCSP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Do you have any real world IT experience?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. rennellsmc

rennellsmc New Member

I do yes, I work at a Library though. I run the network here so I get to see alot of new stuff each and everyday but it is fairly limited however because of where I am. Libraries ya know, the books come first.
    I have been here for almost 4 years now and have an A.A.S. in IT-Computer Networking Systems from ITT.

Certifications: A+, Security+, CCNA
    WIP: MCSE: Security, CCSP
  4. BosonMichael

Excellent. I've seen far too many people want to grab the MCSE without first administering a network, particularly people who are still in college who think that a degree will be an instant ticket into network administration.

To answer your question, I don't care much for video-based training of any sort - it's hard to "skim" a video like you can a book. Give me a couple of books, the actual hardware or software, and an exam simulation, and I'm usually good to go! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Yes, I like CBTNuggets. I used their 2k videos for my MCSE, and passed every exam the first time (some....just barely!). I also used the Minasi Server 2000 tome and ExamCrams for each exam, with Preplogic or Transcenders for practice tests. I'd recommend either nuggets or Trainsignal.

Oh, and Boson for everything in between :oops:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  6. BosonMichael

It's OK to give props to the competition. At least they're legit. :)

All I ask is that they download demos and compare them (on an exam-by-exam basis - some are good, some are not) before they make their purchase. 8)

7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Very true... :biggrin