Security Analyst

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Garethgtt, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Garethgtt

Garethgtt New Member

Hi

im interested in 'breaking' into the security analyst types of roles
    ive seen qualifications such as CISA and wondered if anyone can give me advice on what qualifications to go for?

My background is that:

Ive worked as 3rd line support, setup tech support departments, managed engineers, worked as a consultant
    qualifed to msce level, cisco ccna ccda hp and compaq accredited, novel cne -- all these though are old qualifications
    eg mcse in 2k
    Since then ive worked as an IT manager
    all in all ive worked in IT for about 16 years

I earn a decent salary 30k+, have a company bmw msport

but i fancy a new challenge as im heavily stagnating here!

any advise appreciated?

2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Any particular area of security you want to go into, hands on stuff, hands off stuff etc?

A general information security route that wouldn't be bad would be something like CompTIA Sec+ and ISEB CISMP for starters, moving on to say the CISA/SSCP, and then CISM/CISSP.

However that's a very general information security route, you may want to focus on things such as network security, penetration testing etc.

Think about what it is you want to be doing and work from there.

With that amount of experience in IT should be able to get into something relatively easily I'd have thought. Place where I've recently started have taken on a load of people in security roles and they have little to no security background, but experience in other areas.

I've been in information security for about the last 6 years or so, feel free to ask any questions or send a message if you'd rather ask in private.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012