Security+ 2008

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Triton.Deep, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

Well, surprises never cease. I got handed a project today that needs to be done over the coming month, lots of momentum behind it and all that business. Unfortunatly, the security policy for my organization requires very specifically the Security+ cert from CompTIA before they can approve the creation of the necessary accounts to let me do my work.

Translated, I need to pass that exam and quickly. I know, not the best mindset to go take an exam with, however; my hands are a little tied to.

I'm in no way new to the certification business or exams or studying or to network security in any fashion, so it won't be a problem for me to do it. Dang I'm wordy, here's the question:

I need a one stop shop study guide, one you've used/believe in, would use yourself if you were in a similiar position. And, preferrably, one that has the book on CD as well. I am in a very remote location, mailing isn't easy, so keep in mind I really need something that I can ship to someone in the states and then have them email me the softcopy of the book.

Any suggestions for a quality book that fits?

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Trition, I'm studying for the Security+ exam using this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Sec...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239360731&sr=8-6

I am a fan of the Exam Cram books and since you don't have much time. . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There are two versions that are currently current and available to take, the SY0-101 & the SY0-201. I will only comment on the study materials on the SY0-101, as that is the one that I sat and passed :)

Stuff I used to prepare for the exam:

1. Learnkey CBT
    2. Cramsession study guide (yep freebie)
    3. Preplogic exam software, Syngress Security+ book (bought the pdf from their site &
    4. Examcram2 Security+

As well as previous knowledge from work and from MS material.

You can see my old post here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Cheers Ken, I'll use a CBT and Exam Cram2 book now I think for my Security + in May

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck for the exam :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

Thank you all for the replies and info. Much appreciated. Thankfully, all circumstances considered it looks like they are going to waive that requirment for me and substitute some in-house CBT training instead. Much better, didn't want to try to crash through the exam like that.

Thanks again for the replies and info, will come in handy if/when I do need to really do this for work(I'm being grandfathered in, the cert is apparently a new requirment).

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure