Section 3.3 of the 2003 A+ Objectives

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, May 29, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Here are some things I need help with someone help

o Bluescreen error (BSOD)
    o Illegal operation
    o Invalid working directory
    o System lock up
    o Option (Sound card, modem, input device) or will not function
    o Application will not start or load
    o Cannot log on to network (option – NIC not functioning)
    o Applications don’t install
    o Network connection

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I dont understand!!! What is your question?????
    Have you actualy tried to find the answers YOURSELF?????

Ive just googled BSOD and got over 2MILLION results (the first one tells you what it is)

Do you have the Meyers A+ book???

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you haven't seen any of these problems, you haven't spent ANY time working on and troubleshooting a real computer.

I would suggest you take some time and install the OS from scratch on a computer - not just boot a Restore CD and let it do all the work... I mean, fdisk, format, and install Windows from scratch, including driver installation.

There's not much else I can say about most of the bullet points you've posted. Most of it involves putting your hands on the equipment and seeing things work or fail. For example:

o Cannot log on to network (option – NIC not functioning)

Okay, you can't log on to the network. What could be the problem? Logically think it out... otherwise, if you lack that logic, you're not ready to be a tech:
    - NIC is broken
    - wrong driver installed (or driver has become corrupted, or driver is incompatible with other hardware)
    - bad cable
    - bad connectivity device to the rest of the network (hub, switch, whatever)
    - server is down

Driver issues or bad hardware can also be symptoms of the following bullet points:
    o Option (Sound card, modem, input device) or will not function
    o Network connection

Didn't you say you passed the hardware exam? How are these topics different from what you've already studied for that? You should have already learned troubleshooting hardware devices from your previous exam... including NICs, sound cards, modems, input devices, etc.

Again, I can't stress it enough that you *have* to be able to independently and logically sort things out as a tech, or you won't survive. You *won't* be given a script to follow except at the lowest levels of IT, and if you ever hope to escape those lower levels, you need to start building some self-reliance.

You say in a previous post that you've used Google to find some information on these topics. If that's true, then I have to be blunt with you: you're not looking hard enough, because the Internet is FILLED with information on these topics. These aren't obscure problems... they're problems that most techs deal with on a daily basis. If you can't find information on these basic topics, you're *really* going to have trouble finding out, for example, why your Exchange server store is failing, or how to remove a particular virus infestation.

Further, these topics are discussed in detail in Meyers' book. Although I don't have it in front of me to give you page number references, I can assure you that the information you need is in there.

Along with the A+ Hardware exam, the A+ OS exam is by far the easiest IT certification exam that you will take. It only gets harder from here. If your trouble is lack of information, get that information. But if your trouble is not knowing how to find the information, I'd advise you to spend some time honing those skills... because knowing how to find the information is VASTLY more important than memorizing and regurgitating a bunch of command-line switches or protocols.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Not quoted but very true:biggrin

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you've never seen a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), you never spent any time on a Windows 98 computer. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

A freind of mine has been having them in XP for about 2 months (Has now done a wipe and reinstall).

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

or even ME!

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The only BSOD problem I ever had with XP was on my Dell Inspirion laptop. Turns out there was a fault in the motherboard. It was under warranty so Dell replaced the motherboard, but I ended up having to reinstall the OS, apps and drivers anyway. Worked great after that (of course, I eventually blew away XP and installed Ubuntu on the Inspirion. Worked great after that! :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+