Secondary Qualifications

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by moominboy, Oct 6, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i was just wondering if any of you could tell me ,what would be the preferred qual to have ,in your workplace, out of health and safety or first aid trained?

reason im asking is that the army gives me some money to use to help re-train me for civilian life so i thought i'd increase my employability by having one of those.

answers on a postcard to .........

p.s any other ideas would be great. cheers all! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night so I might not be understanding you correctly. Are you saying that the Army gave you funds to re-train specifically in the areas of "health and safety or first aid"? :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. moominboy

ah, no sorry, my bad.

we get a set allowance based on time served and i can spend it on ANY training option.

im using it to do n+ as i may run out of time with self study, but just looking for other options to bulk up my brand spanking new cv.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

So the money is time limited then and you have to spend it by a certain date? In that case, buy books up the wazoo and any other equipment you can think of that you'll need. :wink:

5. moominboy

and there's the catch!

the money is time limited as in use before my last day but it's to be spent on training PROVIDED only. so, no training materials, just the courses.

just wondering if an employer would prefer something useful (first aid) or something that looks good in their peers eyes (h&s), and with that i've probably just answered my own question!

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

What's the time limit and (dare I ask) how much is it? Would it pay for day long or week long tech workshops? I'd try to apply it to IT as much as possible. If your employer needs people on site to know first aid and such, they usually pay for that training. I don't think knowing CPR will help much when you are applying for a desktop support position.

7. moominboy

well the limit is about 3 months and it's almost £1000.

fair point about cpr in a support role but with some of the questions being thrown at support techs you never know! lol!

might just invest it in a .net course then as i've read that's becoming quite popular at the mo'.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with Trip, a first aid qual is not going to get you a job IMHO because most companies in the UK already have people trained in that area. Also it is something that any willing person can do if they chose to. It doesn't really give you the edge you are looking for. Health and Safety is also something which won't impress, as everyone to some degree in a company is responsible for their own and others health and safety. The health and safety officer position is one hat I have worn but not one that suited me very well. Far too much bla bla boring bla for me. I prefer discussing IPSec rather than steel toe caps and such :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Aye, it wont get you a job
    most companies already have ample staff trained, as its required by H&S, however if you want you can do the course yourself anytime you want for a small fee
    I did it as part of my Rescue Diver course as it was a requirement, and as it was the HSE sanctioned First aid at work, it counts for work, but its not even mentioned on my CV lol

go the tech routes, but err, pick a subject and stick to it, if you want to do support, .net seems a little out of the way

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. moominboy

point taken folks, thanks for the help.

phoenix, i dont really want to do support but realise it may be the bottom rung.

im actually really interested in networking and security but again, think it'd be best having as many "hats" as possible!

thanks again folks.