Second Thoughts...

Discussion in 'A+' started by swatto, Jan 27, 2009.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hey all :D

Im not far into my self-studying for A+ certification and I am having second thoughts, I think I may go for the MCP 70-270 instead as this is more relevant to my current job role (1st Line Support Administrator). Plus I find that I have alot more knowledge in software rather than hardware (big chunk of the A+ which i struggle to remember).

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this decisision are.

Thanks for any help.

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I think the A+ will be valuable still. I would just get it done, then move on to the 270.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'd highly recommend staying the course with the A+. The knowledge you'll learn will help you throughout your career. Plus, after only two exams, you'll have a certification, whereas the 70-270 won't really give you any useful certification unless you continue going after the MCSA. If you'd rather stay on the Microsoft course, then I'd recommend going after the MCDST, which are exams 70-271 and 70-272.

4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I'm in a similar situation to yours, I work in first line support, most of the work is hosting or email related, so the A+ material wasn't exactly needed.
    However, I've done the A+ now, feel pretty good, and continuing with the Network + (which will be helpful when I take the MCDST).

I have thought about skipping the N+ and going straight for the MCDST, but I know what I learn now will be helpful in the future- both work and cert wise :)

Stick with it a little longer, see how it goes! :D

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, the 70-270 is usually somewhat higher than "1st Line Support"... it's for people who administer 70-270 in relation to a domain environment. The MCDST (70-271 and 70-272) would be right up your alley, particularly if you enjoy the software administration.

That said, the A+ and Network+ are good foundations upon which to build your knowledge. Not everything is a software problem... and throughout your career, you're not going to be able to avoid the hardware side. In truth, you have to know when something is or is not a hardware problem. Additionally, the A+ isn't JUST about hardware. It also covers things related to software administration.

Ultimately, the choice is yours... but for a solid foundation of knowledge, I would recommend that you continue through with the A+, continuing on with Network+ and the MCDST. I would hold off on the 70-270 until you start doing basic server administration tasks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Stick with it, it will be usefull in the future.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  7. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hmmm...think im just going to take the MCP 70-270 - maybe slightly over-qualified but my job is not a 'typical' 1st line job, we do alot of 2nd and some 3rd line stuff.

Thankyou for your comments :biggrin

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet