Second shot at exam if taken by June 2010

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Garply, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Garply

Garply New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking to get started studying for the two exams this month (March) and preferably within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to be self-studying from the MS press training kit books.
    Microsoft are offering a second shot exam up to the 30th June and I'm wondering if I would easily have enough time to competently do the studying and tackle the exams, and if it's a realistic goal to try and cram everything in to do it by this date? Bearing in mind I'm doing two courses at present (finishing one in May) I would still ideally like to take advantage of this offer.

Any advice from anyone who's done the studying and done the exams would be helpful. Average hours per week etc.

Thanks.

WIP: CCNA
  2. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Cool!

That sounds like a good deal. I am in the same position almost as yourself, studying the CCNA and would like to get MCDST certified as I should have done this ages ago!

I'm happy that I've finally seen someone else on here who is learning about CCNA networking before doing any other certs same as myself.

I have been told by other peeps on here that its one of those things, its up to you! I suppose like me, if you are on another course, it could interfere with that and depends on how good you are at multi-tasking. But there is a lot to learn in the MCDST, quite a lot you will probably know already though.

If you go for it, let me know how you get on, and if you decide to go for it, and if I do, same same, will let you know :o)

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  3. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Can anyone confirm: is it 1 second shot per customers OR 1 second shot per exam?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/career/en/us/career-offer.aspx#certification

"Note Only one Second Shot voucher is available per purchased exam."

http://www.prometric.com/Microsoft/SS_MCP_form.htm?s=ssm

"One second chance exam per customer."

Microsofts website makes it sound like you can take as many exams as you like and get a second shot on each.
    Prometric sound like you can only get a second shot on one exam only.

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I did wonder this as well as the wording isn't very clear. I've just done a MCTS exam and passed first time and am now doing another and registered again with the 2nd shot offer for a new code. Would probably suggest the same as the code is used when booking the exam.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

How does it work ?
    You get the code
    Book an exam, enter the code and pay £88
    Fail :cry:
    Book a resit, enter the same code and pay nothing
    Pass :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hopefully you pass first time and then feel ripped off you didn't get to take the exam again :biggrin

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

It is per person. If you were to take two exams you and need to retake one you could use your second shot for either. The second shot is not attached to a particular exam. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/Career/en/us/career-offer.aspx#certification

Where it says only one voucher code is valid per exam this means that you can't use two second shot vouchers on one exam. ie if you failed once and use your second shot and fail again you can't use a second, second shot.

9. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

so for example

exam 1: fail, (use 2nd shot) pass
    exam 2: fail, (use 2nd shot) pass

that's ok?

10. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

basically if you fail the exam, use your second shot for free!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP,MCSA