Second interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by leedjc, Aug 19, 2007.

1. leedjc

leedjc New Member

Hi all, I had an interview for an entry level job last week, and have been called back in for a second interview.

I've never had to have a second interview before. I appreciate that it varies from company to company, but what can anyone tell me what sort of thing I might expect?

WIP: A+
  2. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

For my interviews for my current job (which starts tomorrow :biggrin )

First one was with the IT Support Manager.
    more technie questions etc..

Second was with the IT Manager.
    was a formal interview, career goals and how i handle things under pressure etc..

3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

pc/network engineer

pre-interview test. had to answer 20 questions and needed 70% before i'd get an interview.

1st interview - met with the manager and supervisor talked about the job, the company and had technical questions to answer

2nd interview - met with the MD, talked about salary, the company and more about what the job entailed.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Same here.

First interview was more on the technical side, where technical questions were asked, etc.

Second was more of a career prospects interview, what I want to accomplish, how to deal with people at work, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've actually had FOUR interviews for one job - phone interview, interview proper with the Network Manager, an HR interview and then a final face to face with the IT director. I got the job and then - after all that - turned it down because I got a bad feeling about the IT director. So, although the multiple interview process can be tedious and off-putting, it can also work in your favour because, as well as them getting a 'good look' at you, you also get a 'good look' at them!

It varies so much nowadays - some roles only require one interview others can require three or four. Much of it depends on the role and the organisation concerned - though I've never heard of a first line job asking for more than two interviews. Depending on what the first one was like, this one will either be an in depth technical interview, or more of the 'touch feely' HR shite (diversity policy, sickness record, 'where do you see yourself in five years' time' etc)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, depends on the company. Every company has their own procedures they follow, so nobody will be able to tell you what to expect. One company had me talk to people I'd be working with. One company gave me a phone interview. Our company has applicants interview with two of the senior-level management staff AND take an evaluation exam to see if they're well-suited for the job.

Good luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

If they want you back I guess its because your in the shortlist. Be your self and DO NOT LIE.....for example, I left a 3 month nightmare job off my CV I was asked during my second interview if I had any gaps in my employment history I came clean and said there was a job I thought was not worth mentioning and nothing more was asked about that job.

Turns out the lady from the HR department was married to a bloke who used to work with me who knew where I had worked!!!

I found this out on my first day when I went to hand my P45 to the HR department:biggrin

Moral of the story: don't bulls**t them.

Best of luck to ya, hope it goes well.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA