Second Interview!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ukspeedster, Nov 3, 2006.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Good news guys, I got an email from the company I interviewed with and they said the interview went well and they would like to invite me in for a second interview.

The person I was supposed to be interviewing with was on leave, so I was interviewed by the IT operations manager and senior network manager.

I guess I will now be interviewed by the person who will be my line manager/senior?

Can anyone give me some advice on second interviews. For example questions that could be asked, what I need to prepare for, any tests, etc?

Thanks 8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

it depends on the kind of job u might be applying for but they might ask u behavioural questions such as:
    how do u work underpressure? (give an example from previous work experience on this)

how do u work with teams?

etc...

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  3. ukspeedster

Its a junior IT support engineer position.
    The first interview was a mix of technical and personal questions which lasted about an hour.

The second interview will be with the systems manager, the person who I think is in charge of the support team.

Does that help?

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Could I suggest that you find that out before the second interview. I would be mortified if I assumed what he's in charge of and got it wrong :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. ukspeedster

Just found out the interview is with one of the service directors of the company!

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dont stress mate, the guy\girl is just another human being at the end of the day. Stay cool and the job will be yours 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

At least this might cut down any waiting time. If they want you, you are likely to hear sooner rather than later.

I went for a job years ago and had an interview with a HR <bird> before the technical panel. She said forget the next bit, you're in!

Best of luck :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

just be yourself and answer everything confidently, doesnt matter whoz taking your interview...remember to make eye contact (that shows ur quite eager)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  9. ukspeedster

Anyone got any sample questions that they have been asked/could be asked during a second interview?
    Or is it pretty similar to the first interview?

Thanks

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It will probably be similar to the first interview without the tests, as the tests are designed to weed out the unsuitable people. You can't really generalise on the content of a second interview, usually it just means a more important person, one that has the power to hire and fire will make the decision.

As has been said, just be confident, be yourself and you are home and dry 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. ukspeedster

Well, I just had the second interview this morning with a service director of the company. It was a more informal interview and we went and sat in a coffee shop and talked about the position and the prospects within the company.

I think the interview went well and i asked a few questions at the end. When the interview was over he said he had enjoyed meeting me and talking with me about the job. Also, that I asked some very good questions at the end.

There is one more person he has to see, but hopefully I have done enough to impress.

Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of getting the job?? Ive sent a thank you letter for his time and highlighted my abilities again.

Thanks

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i think thats all that is left to do, the final part is the thank you letter, which finishes it... fingers crossed.

13. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

I wish you luck :)

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

WTF?:blink Do you mean writing a thankyou letter after the interview or after you've been offered the job? The second one I understand, but I've never heard of anyone writing a thankyou letter after an interview!:D

WIP: 70-270
  15. ukspeedster

Yes, a thank you letter, after the interview, to thank the interviewer for their time and consideration! It makes a good impression with the interviewer and you can add some points that you might have missed out during the interview, and emphsise what you can offer again.

I would have thought most people knew about this!

16. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

It's something that I've never done, or felt the need to do. However, I bet interviewers who receive a thank you letter are pretty damned take aback by it and probably flattered that someone has taken the time to do it! Because no-one does it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done...I would say that it shows a gentlemanly streak of courtesy and thoughtfulness that died out during the 50s!

Hope you get it!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm [EDIT] not [/EDIT] saying it shouldn't be done, but it's something I've never ever considered. Nor have I ever heard of anyone writing one. Why don't you send a crate of whisky instead, you'll be much more likely to get the job then.:D

WIP: 70-270
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Interesting, the guys might think you have a drink problem though.

“We just interviewed the guy and he sends booze, he must be wasted!” that’s what they would say. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. ukspeedster

Hahaha now that would be funny!:biggrin

20. ukspeedster

Look at it this way.... If you were one of two left for an interview, and only one position was available, the thankyou letter could possibly be the difference between getting the job and not getting the job 8)