Second Hand Computer for CompTIA A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by asian_100, Jul 16, 2007.

1. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Hi ppl

I just wanted your feedback on a computer that I have seen on sale in a shop. The Computer is really old. Don't know the make of it. The Hard drive is 1.45 GB. The operating system is Windows 95. It has CD RW. It also has the old microsoft office package. The proccesor is Pentium. It is on sale at £29.99.

So what I wanted to know is it worth buying that second hand computer? And even If I buy that computer, how much would it cost me to upgrade all the parts inside it? Is it worth spending money on buying and upgarding it? Or a new computer would be better?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on what is included in that price. If it includes the CDs for both Windows and Office then it is probably worth the money.

A unit that old will be completely un-upgradeable. Just too many things have changed.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

What do u mean by unit?

4. hbroomhall

In this case - I mean the computer.

Harry.

5. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Do you know any shops in London where I can get a decent second computer?

6. hbroomhall

Shops will tend to be expensive - they have overheads to pay for.

Look in Micro-mart, or the local free-ads paper. Or subscribe to your local Freecycle group.

Harry.

7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

What do you mean by worth it for A+?

If you are studying for A+, then to have an old computer (unit) or two to mess around with, is usually a good thing. BUT - this one sounds too old.

The A+ OS course mostly refers to installing Windows XP, for example, and by the sound of it, your £29.99 one with a HDD of only 1.45GB will be too old for that.

For the hardware side of things, it would be good to play around with different types of motherboard, cpus, RAM, etc etc where you're not going to worry too much if it breaks. I picked up three or four from car-boot sales when I was doing my A+ just to be able to do that - but mostly I paid only £10-15 or so, plus the cost of different bits and pieces to play with. But again I would guess this one is too old. Sounds like an early Pentium. Does it even have ps/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard? Forget it otherwise.

I'd shop around a bit more, if I were you. I found a Pentium 600 with a 10GB hdd for £10 that is still going strong after being completely dismantled and rebuilt a couple of times. But god is it noisy!

Some of the best learning you'll get for A+ is from mending things that are broken, but it has to be on the type of equipment where the experience will match the exam objectives. Forget Windows 95, and anything older than Pentium 2.

HTH

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

try a computer fair, I am going one in a couple of weeks you dont neccesarly have to upgrade an old pc for the a+ just take stuff out see what happens when you boot put them back.

Change OS settings stuff like that, but i wouldnt bother trying to get a newer comp and spending money on it that would be pointless.

So the price you said that system was is ok aslong as you get the cd or can make a copy because if you break it first time around your screwed

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Blowfish

Blowfish Bit Poster

You could try to get a free one. Request one on here:-

http://www.freecycle.org/groups/unitedkingdom/

Go to your nearest place, join the group and place your request be honest and explain what you are doing and why, and i would expect you'll get lucky.

This is what freecycle is about:-

The Freecycle ® Network is open to all who want to "recycle" an item rather than throw it away. Whatever it is, feel free to offer it! Maybe you're looking to acquire something too? Nonprofit groups are also welcome!

One constraint:EVERYTHING POSTED MUST BE FREE! This network is brought to you by The Freecycle ® Network, a nonprofit organization and a movement of people helping to keep good stuff out of landfills. Check out uk.freecycle.org for more cities and info on the movement!

Hope this helps:biggrin

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-271 or 70-620
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Here's a novel concept... why don't you build one with old pieces and parts? There's absolutely NO better training regarding CPU sockets, compatible memory types, bus speeds, and interfaces than building your own computer. Better yet, old parts are extremely cheap.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I have a nice Dell you can have P3 900 Mhz 256 ram 10 Gig

You will need to pay postage, it's heavy so I guess about £20.00 should cover it.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Talk about generousity now this is it as it don't get any better. On a serious note this box on ebay would be more dollars, well done:biggrin and can I apply for this or is it just for the original poster?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Rearl

Rearl Bit Poster

I have a total of twelve computers that I use for this. Two or or three aren't bad. The rest are from windows 3.11 to 95, 98, ME XP, XP PRO. UBUNTU, and some are broke. I live in the USA, so what we do here may be different, however I go to places like the Goodwill, Jesus House of Hope and other thrift shops buying whatever I see. There is a man here who has an advertisement in a local newspaper where he asks for donated computers for rebuilding. He must be doing well because he now only asks for 19" monitors and only Pentium 3 boxes. The biggest challenge I have is identifying old RAM. I see something called RAM CHECK for about $900.00 refurbished. I thought I had an identical stick of Ram and it killed the motherboard.
    So now I'm a little more cautious.
    Good Luck :D

Certifications: A+601 602
    WIP: network+