SDSL installation

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Stoney, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Morning,

I just have a quick question about an SDSL installation.

We are having an SDSL line installed on a customer site and I have been told that we are responsible for the protocol that is used over the line, whether that be Frame Relay, ATM.......etc etc.

How exactly do you determine the protocol? I would imagine it would be a configuration on the SDSL router, but wouldn't the telephone company set that up already?

I'm unusre whether I'm expected to setup the SDSL router (Cisco 1721) or whether I can just stick a switch/firewall on the back of it and get going.

Could someone who has experience with this sort of thing just give a brief run down of how SDSL is set up?

Cheers,

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on who is doing the install - i.e. the ISP involved. And just what type of link this is.

In most cases the "telephone company" (usualy BT) will just install the copper. What runs over it is not their responsability.

This *sounds* like you are in effect setting up a point-to-point link, rather than a link into the Internet. If it was the latter then the ISP would normaly provide a pre-configured CPE.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Harry,

Thanks for the info.

I was expecting it to be a direct connection to the internet but this guy threw me a little with saying we had to do work on it ourselves.

I see what he was getting at now. I think he expects us to create a link to our other offices which is not the case.

Panic over!!

Cheers :thumbleft

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270