SCSI vs SATA?

Discussion in 'A+' started by swatto, Mar 24, 2009.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hello all,

At work so can't be sure of the info in the book but the Mike Meyers book gives little mention to SCSI drives being faster and better than SATA drives? - is this true as the book seemed to edge more on SATA being better.

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

SCSI is faster than SATA but it is more expensive requires extra bits like SCSI cards and terminators
    But SATA is nearly there with beating SCSI in terms of speed SATA 3Gb/s runs at 300mbs compared to SCSI fastest at 320mbs.

SCSI drives have a longer life span than SATA but you could buy 4-5 SATA drives for the price of a SCSI

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Thanks for clearing that up greenbrucelee. Thats exactly what I thought - I have a 750GB SCSI hard-drive in my computer at home - it was just that Mike Meyers didn't really seem too keen on them (from what I can remember back when I read that chapter, im a bit further on now) :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

SCSI will be around for a while but probably not for too much longer as the advances in the speed of SATA and when/if the price of solid state drives comes down then will probably end SCSI.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Yes, with the huge influx in SSDs as of late, I imagine they are going to start dropping in price and going up in storage space, edging out SCSI drives. I believe SATA will be around for quite some time though, due to the price and the market saturation.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

SCSI still reigns supreme when it comes to databases though. But nowadays in the guise of SAS mostly - which is very SATA-like.

The main reason is that SCSI can 'multi-task' - whereas old IDE and original SATA can't. This means that a database cannot tell whether data has actually been saved to the disk surface - or is still in the cache. This matters because you need to be absolutely sure where you are in case of a power-failure.

At one time SCSI was faster, but this has gradually been eroded by IDE/SATA.

Newer SATA drives are supposed to have the 'multi-tasking' firmware, but many DBAs are reporting this is a bit hit-and-miss.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+