Scripting

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by flex22, Aug 9, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

What do you guys think about scripting.

I've been reading up on it lately and it's really interesting.

Problem is, I'm not sure which type I should learn.

I feel like scripting is more kind of techie then all these pretty little GUI's.
    You'll probably think I'm mad for prefering scripts over GUI's.

I'm certain you don't need to know loads of scripting for certification but I feel that it will give me a better understanding of certain subjects and it's worth practising.

For those of you who are employed in IT, do you use much scripting and if so which type do you use?

The best scripting knowledge base I have found so far is at
    www.labmice.net.

If anybody knows of other good resources, then please let me know.

PS: If there's a lot of interest then maybe we could have an area just to dicuss scripting.Just a thought.

2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

flex

if you ever work in a big network you will find these skills will really help you out.

On the TechNet website there are some great scripting bits. I have found the VBA is a good start. :D

3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've been doing some research on and off today, practising with VBScript which I beleive is similar to VBA.

I managed to create a short script which worked out that I was
    738391338 seconds old (at the time of this post) :D

I'm sure I'll come up with more productive uses for it though.

Thanks for telling me about technet, I just checked it out and they have loads of stuff on this.

Thanks.

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I'd echo what Sandy has already said, learning scripting to some extent is well worth the effort for everything from login scripts to rolling out fixes or checking the diskspace on all your servers. One site I've found useful is win32 scripting

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good site, thanks for the heads up on this one Flex.

PS, have you changed your username from 23 to 22

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yes, I have Sandy.

I couldn't get used to the 23, it seemed a little strange.

From now on the names flex22, although my signatures will always be changing.

7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

flex

Vb, VBScript and VBA are all the same really

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I found a site and downloaded a free e-book.

Then at the start it said "start up Visual Basic" and I thought, hang about I haven't got Visual Basic so I couldn't do that.

Anyhow, I don't want to get into programming because that's a major thing in itself.

I just want tp learn scripting because I believe it helps in understanding what it is your actually trying to achieve rather than GUI's.

GUI's can be misleading because they look so simple, I think learning scripting will make me more accurate and understand concepts better.

The problem I find is that there's so much information out there that I just get bewildered.

I found a good starter website (that's where I learnt how to do my first script) but then it just says go ahead and try some yourself.

Thing is, things like strings, arrays and that are a bit alien to me.

I reckon I'll get this scripting lark soon enough.Sometimes I think I should have gone in for programming, seems to suit me.

I just need to find a nice path in-between the vast amount of resources, otherwise I'll get lost in it all.

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Someone else who likes to change there signature.

I am aiming to change mine once a week, usually a wednesday

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346