SCREAAAM!!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by j_holz, Apr 29, 2007.

1. j_holz

j_holz Bit Poster

Can somebody please give me a bit of advice on staying focused?

Im reeeaaallly having problems... Im studying for 271 and 272 but focusing on 271 first.

Problem is that none of my friends are the slightest bit interested in IT or computers and there are so many other distractions in my life. I find that its so hard to work in my flat... as i just end up messing round on the internet.... so ive been going to the library... problem is, the library opens at funny times and the computers their are windows 2000 (i use them for reading pdf docs on and thats it).

I started off really well, ive got 2 computers networked and running xp pro and nothing in the books is a mystery too me any more but im only getting 40-60% on the trancenders. I just find it so hard to sit down and get on with it. I guess theres no magic solution... just wondered if there where any tips?

Certifications: BTEC ND for IT Technicians
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Take your books and go and sit in a park or by a river, some nice peaceful place and you will be amazed how much more studying gets done and sinks in, compared to doing it at home with all the distractions that are at arms reach.

Good luck, nobody said it was going to be easy :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need to find a study method that works for you mate. Some people will lean more towards lab work and others will focus more on reading books and using online resources. To be honest a combination of both is probably the best way. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Fella - being based in Oswestry I would think you'd find plenty of time to study - there's sod all else there to do!!

Seriously though, you will need to be disciplined. Try setting yourself a goal of studying for a set period each day. Even if its only an hour a night, you will quickly find that your learning increases. Disconnect yourself from that T'Internet if you think that will help - at least until you learn to multitask more efficiently... :rolleyes:

Good luck - and don't give up on it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I don't have too many problems studying at home. But I have to tell you this place can get pretty damned rowdy at times. Plus I tend to do a lot of messing around on the net as well. Still, I'm happier studying at home than anywhere else and I do manage to get a fair bit of studying done when I want to.

All it takes is focus and discipline and it's done.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have the same problem. I was out of work for two months but have just a ton of freelance work. It was really tough to concentrate on getting the job done when the only person structuring your work is you.

Solution: Set deadlines. Much of my freelance work has deadlines built in but at certain stages, the deadlines are flexible. The only way I can get work done is to allocate certain time periods for certain projects.

Today, I allocated between 9 a.m and noon to do yard work, had lunch and played on the Internet for an hour, then dedicated between 1 and 5 for working on review chapters (I'm an author and when the editors have finished reviewing my pages, I have to either make the recommended changes or come up with a good reason why I shouldn't...this can be very time consuming).

I was actually going to try and work longer, but I have to make dinner for the fam and my brain has turned to mush anyway. I got through 5 chapters and am working on the sixth.

Since I have a day job now, after I come home, I'll dedicate at least an hour after dinner to finishing the chapters. It'll probably take a few more days to punch through. After that, I can use that free time to work in the initial edits for a book I'm working on and sending a revised sample movie in for an online course I'm creating.

If I make it through all that, I can use that hour during the week and 4 plus hours on the weekend to go and study XML and JavaScript.

Thing is, without that structure, I'd never get anything done. That's what you'll need to do, too.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

J_holz I know how you are feeling I am in the same boat. I've been saying that I'll be doing my 290 exam for the longest time ever, for almost a year, I pretty much had enough time to become an MCSA. Its these cars my other hobby that is occupying my time, just this weekend we swapped an engine in the car for a new one, that was a fun project.

All I can say is that guys that replied are 100% correct we have to discipline our selves.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

I guess Zebulebu summed it up nicely, you will need to learn to multitask efficiently! there is nothing more to it. it's hard sometimes if you have a family to look after but thats is just life !

good luck

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yee gods, when do you find time to post on all the forums you frequent? :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. j_holz

j_holz Bit Poster

Cheers for the advice guys. That has helped already i think. Forced myself to set aside an hour this evening and I spent it in a cafe with my books -ie. away from the distractions around the flat (my guitar, wikipedia, my star trek dvds etc).

That seemed to work quite well to start with anyway. Its quite easy to find time when my enthusiasm is re-energeized.. i guess the challenge is maintaining that when other stuff starts going on and life problems start cropping up etc..

Thanks again for the help, i printed these responses, i want to use them as a reminder to allocate my time and hopefully keep focused.

Certifications: BTEC ND for IT Technicians
    WIP: MCDST