Scouting out experience, possible problems?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 1/4, Oct 30, 2010.

1. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Hi all.

I am studying for the A+ Currently but I am keen to get my hands in the IT pot ASAP. I realise as your average self proclaimed "power user" I would be borderline useless in a real IT support position [a good 25% of the A+ content is new to me] but how does the community here feel about applying to work in local IT businesses [perhaps PC repair shops] on a voluntary basis?

If I send out a CV with a covering letter exlaining who I am and what my itentions are do you feel that if unsuccessful then re-applying once I have acquired an A+ etc would be disadvantageous?

TL;DR Does scouting out a voluntary position for experiemce harm chances of future employment when qualified?

Kind regards

1/4

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

By all means go for it. Check out charities as well. My personal feeling is that even small local charity is closer to real IT in terms of tasks you would be doing, than work in PC repair shop.

That's how I got in IT. When I walked into charity (voluntary) there was bunch of PCs and a server. Nothing was working (literally, PCs weren't booting, server was still set up as it was with previous owner - we didn't have the admin pass).
    This kept me busy and for 4 months while jobseeking.

I can easily say that I wouldn't get into IT if I wasn't volunteering back then. It has helped a lot.

Check out:
    http://www.do-it.org.uk/
    http://vinspired.com/

There was few more but you will need to look them up as I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

Good luck!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

any work in IT = experience = what employers want.

99% of the time an employer wont give a **** what certs you have all they want to know is can you do the job and their verification is your experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

So that's why we all get certified is it? :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

There's that 1% chance. As far as I know the chance to win the lottery is a lot smaller but people still win.
    Cheer up! :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure