Scheidegger/skills train A+/N+ course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by farmer, Jun 24, 2005.

1. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

just a quick note i've noticed that not a lot of pepole seem to post
    good comments about training providers, so i thought i would post my comments about Scheidegger.
    I started on their a+\n+ course last week, it took 5 days for my first assignment to come back marked, wich i thought was a bit slow, then i started sending in my assignment's in through the student web site then i email the tutors 1-2 days later and i get a email with the results same day
    I have just sent in my 4th assignment, the only problem i can see is the fact that they only send out 4 assignmentsd worth of course matterials at a time so i could be in for abit of a wait before
    i can continue.

i will keep you all informed as to how i get on with them.

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Glad you posted farmer. The sad truth is it's always the minority (ie the ones with something to moan about, or have had a bad exerience) that shout the loudest on places like this.

The other side of the coin is that we often get "one-post wonders" who are just after some quick publicity for their company.

It is rare indeed that we get a genuine Member with something decent to say, just because they mean it, so thanks for posting :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have to admit, I tend to cringe whenever I see a thread about a training provider because, as Gav says, they are either b*tch sessions about how bad the provider is or bald faced spam. Glad to see an honest opinion here for a change. Well done, m8. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

I'll try and keep it as honest as possible

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

THanks for the post Farmer. Glad to know your getting on with your training provider. It makes all the difference to the learning experience if you know you can trust your provider. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Don't worry, farmer - we have a pretty smart bunch of Members here that can fairly easily see through any cr@p that gets posted on here.
    :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. knightofnuada

knightofnuada Nibble Poster

Hi Farmer,
    You're doing the same course as me and so far finding it as you've said. However, I'm sticking to sending the assignments in by post (Assignment 4 just sent in too!). But the turn around is about a week (though this does include a weekend to get through!) so isn't too bad ...
    That said, I've slipped up on some of the questions in the assignments due to them not mentioning that I can tick multiple answers - Question 5 in Assignment 2 springs to mind!

However, I get the feeling that the material supplied by Scheidegger alone won't get me through the A+ alone, and am starting to think that extra material such as the Meyer's books people here praise would be a good investment ...

Here's to section B
    Steve

WIP: A+, Network +, CCNA
  8. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

hi steve thats what I was thinking. your point about sending in assignments in by post , thats ok but i would still email the tutors after 2-3 days to see if they have received your assignment and they should email you a copy of your progress report.

9. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

I have just recieved progress report for tma4 only got 87% average so far is 94.25% which is not tobad, still wait in for part b course work.

has anyone else done the A+/N+ certs with sceidegger, i wolud like
    to hear how you got on good or bad!

10. frabato

frabato New Member

hi i have just started a course with them and was glad to finally see something positive about them heh i was beginning to think i made a stoopid move my mate was sending me all these comments from a forum and making me real nervous hmm maybe i block him ;-)

11. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

hi frabato welcome what course have you started on with scheidegger

12. frabato

frabato New Member

i started a+,n+ and mcsa course

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm doing A+, N+ etc with Scheidegger, and am freely wanton in my praising of them.

My turnover of TMA's isn't as quick, but I like to chew over things. 5 weeks for the first lot, but a 100% assignment record.

I'm also using the A+ lab manual (groth, off the top of my head) and this wonderful site to help muddle along.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

It's good to read your post Farmer, It's true a number of posts do seem to be negative against training organisations, it is a case, I guess, of 1 person shouting off annoyance to 10 people that are happy - However it is usefull for us all to hear both negative and positive feedback!

Good Luck with your course and the other members who posted that they are studying!

Sarah

Again apologies for spelling/trying on a dodgy lap top and I'm notused to the keyboard!!! :oops: :ohmy :rolleyes:

15. Psycow

Psycow New Member

Theire course material for N+ is definitaly not enough to get you through the new exams, it's still based on N10-002. MCSA they sent you is for 2000 wich is not really ideal since 2003 is out and they promised to keep theire material updated in their sales pitch (there sales people alone is reason enough not to deal with them).

Also had a lot of problems getting the MCSA software to work correctly, after numerous e-mails and phone calls figured out the problem myself and e-mailed them on how to fix it in the future. There training software is incompatible with the latest version of Flash, so you would have to uninstall it install a older version. Sent in 2 TMA's for MCSA through the website without getting anything back, phoned them a week after I sent in the first one to get the unlocking code and they claimed not to have received anything. Sent in both TMA's again a week ago, still haven't received anything back. Generely they were pretty quick to sent results back with N+, but had to phone them and e-mail them for the next part of the course every single time once a section was finished (this is supposed to have been sent out automatically when they received the last TMA in that section).

They not completely bad, but there is far better and far cheaper options out there that is also much more honest up front about what they are offering.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia N+
    WIP: CCNA MCSA
  16. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

hi folks i felt an update on my prgress was due. i have just sent in tma 17 which is the final sction on the A+ part of the course, with just the mock exam todo before going onto the N+ section.things are going ok but sometimes a bit of a wait for new sections to be sent out . bye for now

17. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi Farmer

Firstly, can I say "welcome on board" mate! :D
    Also, I am also a Scheidegger student, although I'm doing a different course. If you aren't happy about the speed that you get your TMA Progress Report back, tell them instantly. I did - and I found it helps to submit to their server (through their website), as when I first enrolled with them, IT HAD to be sent via the Royal Mail. It still took 5 days in total, but I completely undersatnd how frustrating it can be!! Also I read once, that It HAS to be 24 hours between you sending TMA's. Scheidegger like to think that you understand the topic, before you move onto the next part.
    Once they (the tutors) get to grips with how fast you want to move, I really do think that you will see them "crank" up a gear.

Best Wishes

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  18. aleksmann

aleksmann Bit Poster

EDIT SG: contend removed pending Mod Review

19. Em

Em Bit Poster

I am also doing a course with Scheidegger, they have been very good to me and I can not find a bad word to say about them through personal experience. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with them. I am a little confused tho? I am doing Web Master with them and un-sure of the the certificate I will be getting now as I have read a few people doing the same course but different qualifications??? I thought it was CIW ???? :ohmy

Certifications: Diploma level3 Web Design?
    WIP: CIW
  20. aleksmann

aleksmann Bit Poster

EDIT SG: Content Removed Pending Mod Review