Sccm+sup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Doing some research at the moment about SCCM and software distribution since I am looking to implement this shortly. This product is complex! I am looking at intergrading our separate WSUS server with SCCM. So what it looks is going to happen is, I will be installing the software update point on WSUS, the WSUS console on the SCCM server, let it sync up (crossing all my fingers) which will take hours from my understanding, and that is if it goes right the first time, then setup SCUP (system center updates publisher) for third party updates. The other part will be to get all the updates copied over to the other remote secondary sites I have. (still have to think as how I am going to proceed, we're talking 26GB of updates over WAN link).

Anyone done similar stuff?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You would be using your existing WSUS server as the upstream WSUS server, your SCCM servers would be your SUP's.

Ideally you shouldn't need to touch the WSUS console at all (when you install WSUS on the SCCM server all you're actually using is the SDK).

As far as syncing between sites, that's what BITS and Remote Differential Compression is all about, alternatively you could consider moving the updates to the remote site via USB drive instead.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

So the SUP would be installed on the SCCM instead of WSUS? this would also apply to my secondary sites? Also from my understanding, with SUP, there's no need to have the clients use WUA to pull updates, once the integration is done, the clients would then use their sccm client agent to pull and install all the updates from the DP, no?

As for remote servers, the same would apply wouldn't?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

On my central site I've setup SUP and successfully sync'd up the updates with SCCM... For my secondary sites, I am most likely going to install SUP as well and I already have WSUS setup as replicas on the secondary server. So from my understanding, Updates are pulled from the Microsoft site at the Central SUP location, then once the synchronization completes, the child sites (secondary) start the synchronization with the parent site. I believe this is the default action and that I would not need to configure anything special other than the GPO settings. SCCM clients automatically receive a local policy from the server to do updates.