SCCM Network Discovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would like to enable discovery for systems that are not part of the domain. I've setup network discovery to do the following:

-Enable network discovery
    -Topology and client
    -configured the subnet I want the server to discover
    -Added the DHCP server.

Perhaps I am missing something but my server won't discover any systems on the network that are not joined to the domain. If I do a discovery by Active Directory everything works with flying colors. I would like to do this because I want to deploy a computer image to the new workstations that we receive that already have an OS installed. That way, I can install the agent and then deploy the OS. For some reason, PXE booting a computer for my remote users is too difficult, go figure.

Edit: I've made a couple of more modifications, I've added the server to the DHCP users group and installed a server locator point. Will see if this fixes anything.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do you have Unknown Computer support enabled on your PXE service point? If so have you enabled unknown computer support in the task sequence.

You should be able to boot into PXE and build the machines that way, failing that you may have to create a computer association (you would need the computer name and either the mac address or guid of the new machines) and then PXE boot them and they would get the TS then.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Exactly, which is what I do, however the problem at hand is that pressing F12 for network boot has proven difficult. The splash screen is a little too fast, they claim to not have enough time to press the button. I tested my self and it is pretty fast. With that said it's still very doable, but I would like to make it as seamless as possible.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA