sccm bdp

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Is there a way to tell which branch distribution point the computers are pulling the package from?

I've deployed a packaged to all my distribution points which are protected pointing to my head office AD boundary. When I am running an advertisement to deploy an application to a certain collection of computers that are located in a remote location, I want them to pull the package from their BDP. From my understanding it should automatically do so? As long as the clients are within the boundary correct?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932150.aspx

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have you created IP boundaries or just the single AD boundary?

If you have broken the boundaries into subnet based boundaries then your BDP should be the DP of choice, if you have just left a single AD boundary then the clients 'could' download from any of the DP's.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Ahh I see... so I would create an IP boundary for every remote office... Gotcha.

I do have an IP boundary but it only defines the main office subnet along with the head office AD boundary. This makes sense, as when I am picking what boundaries to use for the BDPs, I would pick the appropriate IP boundary.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You got it, otherwise the clients aren't going to know that they are supposed to be limited to that BDP boundary.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA