SCCM 2012 Windows Update issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Makaveli, May 7, 2014.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I have setup SCCM 2012 on a Windows 2008 R2 server in my lab, however I am having issues when trying to deploy the updates to the clients. The updates seem to download ok to the share on my server and the clients have the SCCM client installed. There seems to be alot of log files on the client and I am not sure where to start with regards to getting a better idea of where things are failing. Any guidance would be appreciated...

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Have you set the client policies?

Also look at Automatic Deployment rules

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Where in SCCM are those settings?

4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

In my experience there are quite a few steps and moving parts in sccm to deploying windows updates. I would suggest finding an online article/guide which takes you through this. There are so many things to check, one of the first questions I would ask is, has the update package you have created been deployed successfully onto the distribution point you have created?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I followed a guide on the internet for the setup, thats why I am looking towards the log files but I am unsure where to start.

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Have you created collections and deployments for the downloaded updates?

Whilst they download, they won't deploy to clients unless you specifically tell it to do so.

Create some client based collections for relevant operating systems, and create a deployment schedule. As kevicho mentioned - ADR's are the way forward for automating the whole process with ConfigMgr.

go into your console under monitoring -> deployments - check to see if there are any active SW Update deployments in there. If there are - then cool, they should be making their way to clients.

If not - you need to create these on the collections mentioned above.

Log files to check on clients -> updateshandler.log, updatesdeployment.log - and C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Note: if SCCM 2012 is new to you, starting off on software updates probably isn't the best bet - it's one of the more advanced features of the system.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies kevico and Apexes. This has been wrecking my head for the last few days!

I had a look at the log files last night and I couldnt see any failures, in fact everything looked ok as far as I could see. Today I thought I would power the server on and leave it to see if it would patch the client, after about 20 minutes I received the icon in the taskbar and all is looking ok. I havent setup an ADR so I assume this is optional to automate things? All the collections have been created so that wasnt the issue, at this stage I am not sure what I did to fix it.

I do have a question regarding an option in the deployment package wizard, see attached screenshot - should I be selecting the "Download software updates from the Internet" or "Download software updates from a location on my network". In what scenerio would you use each option? Now that it seems to be working how can I be sure the updates on the client are being installed from the DP and not just being downloaded from the internet?

Deployments.jpg

9. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

The above screenshot relates to whether or not you use WSUS. have you installed this on the primary?

10. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I only have 1 SCCM server and WSUS is installed on it, I believe its a prerequisite for SCCM 2012.

I thought everything was working ok after the first client patched successfully but I powered on another client which is part of the same collection and it doesnt detect any updates for installation. I'm not too sure where to go with this now!

11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Can you take a screenshot of your collections, and the deplyoments associated with them?

12. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

See attached, its the Windows Server 2008 R2 collection that is highlighted and the associated deployment displayed below.

Collections.jpg