Scart - VGA Converter.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asje1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Hey guys.

We have recently got a new TV for the front room, meaning ive inherited the old one.

I want it to act as a monitor as well as a TV, but it only has a scart port. Looked on the net for a Scart-VGA converter... they seem really expensive for what they are?

Does anyone have any knowledge on these converters or where would be a decent place to purchase one?

Thanks

Edit: Looked into this abit more now. Maybe a VGA-RGB would be a more suitable option? Anyone know?

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Has your PC got an S-Video out? This can be connected to a Scart socket with a cheap adaptor.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One of the problems with this sort of connection is that PCs typically these days have a far higher resolution than TVs. The result is that text is often unreadable.

It is fine for playing DVDs etc though.

I'd go along with NightWalker on S-Video being the best way to do this if you have it.

The reason that VGA to Scart (or composite) is expensive is that the signals are very different, so a lot of electronics is required to do the conversion.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As others have already mentioned, if you expect to use this as an actual monitor, think again. The quality will look terrible no matter what method you use to transfer the signal. Video playback from the PC would probably be acceptable, but still not that great.

Your best bet is to use it for the purpose it was deigned for, ie as a TV.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I believe it has... what is the cable called i require?

Thanks for the advise guys.

6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

This will do the trick 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That is a good price too, if you want top quality go for one with gold connections but they do cost more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

perfect thanks