SBS 2003 or SBS 2008

Discussion in 'Software' started by itbookham, Mar 30, 2010.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hello,

We are a small educational charity based in the UK. Presently, we are running SBS 2003 on a Dell Power Edge 1800 server. The server hosts the file and print server, SQL and Exchange servers without too much difficulty.

Although SBS 2003 is robust and reliable, we are thinking of upgrading to SBS 2008 in order to not get too far behind with the network operating system. Presumably, Microsoft will continue to support SBS2003 for a few more years?

An experienced IT professional recommends that we upgrade to Windows 2008 server and Exchange 2007, which are easier to configure compared to SBS2008. Is there any truth in this? If we do upgrade to either SBS 2008 or Windows 2008 should we upgrade the server as well, which is about 3 1/2 years old and running well.

As a passing thought, is there any merit in us upgrading the software or hardware at all, as the present system is running well.

I would be interested to hear your comments.

Many thanks,
    Mark

WIP: A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In all honesty you would probably be paying more servers if you went down the individual server route, not only would you have your DC and Exchange servers but also if you do use SQL you would need to have that hosted on it's own server as well.

If you can afford to go down that route then why not, if you can't then stick with either SBS (I would see if SBS2008 offers you something you're missing now, if it is then upgrade, if it's not then why?).

Personally speaking I would ask myself what the benefit and cost implications were.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What is that based on exactly? :rolleyes:

You can do a side by side migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 if needed.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Not sure exactly what benefits sbs2008 will give you unless your also upgrading hardware.

Migrating to 2008 is the way to go, but you need to know the pitfalls. I have done 3 and they are hardwork!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How many users mate?

It might just be worth extending the hardware warranty on the server if funds are tight.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs