SBS 2003 migration to Server 2008 in new domain

Discussion in 'Software' started by Colloghi, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well I mentioned a while back that we were due to upgrade our servers from our current overloaded SBS2003 to some new spanking equipment. Well i didnt realise a SBS migration would seem such a headache.

The scenario

The company I work for has oretty much outgrown its IT infrastructure, specifically the SBS 2003 Server. The company were also acquired by a larger group last year, and hence we will be integrating their domain forest very soon.

We are looking at virtualizing our servers, essentially splitting the SBS 2003 machine across 3 VMS on one physical host. Exchange, AD, File/Print Server. All running 2008.

All servers would be hosted in the new Forest and this would save us all.......................in theory:P

When it comes to looking at migrating Users, mailboxes, data, permissions etc? is it really as complex and intensive as it seems to be made out to be? I just wondered if many other people had done this type of migration and had any major issues they had encoutered?

We have 24hr operations, so even rebooting the server can be a hassle and have financial impact, so this may hit us hard if not carried out carefully.

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What do you mean by complications?

I never really done an SBS2003 to Windows server 2008, I just did the regular migrations, but I would think the process would be similar?

You can do it in two ways I guess, extend the AD schema, bring up a new 2008 DC under your existing domain, make it a GC, transfer the FSMO roles over, etc... then slowly retire the old DC once everything is properly setup on the new 2008 domain, or you can build a new AD environment where you use the ADMT to transfer AD objects over to the new forest/domain, but this method is more complicated...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I believe the main issue is the trust relationship aspect as SBS 2003 dosnt allow it to trust any other domain?

At the moment it looks like we have 2 options

Build 2 temporary servers in current SBS domain, a DC and exchange server. Trasnfer all roles etc on to the 2 servers. Decommision the SBS, then create a trust with the DC and the forest we need to be in.............and do iot that way

Create a brand new server in the forest and create everything from scratch, add PST files for the users to link back to their old mail..

hmmm:|

Ive just found a possible 3rd option

the Transistion pack to upgrade the server to 2003 standard? and then create the trust relationship anyone used this before?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's not possible to bring up another domain controller that is a Windows Server 2008 under the existing domain? That way you would not have any trust issues... Unless that's not possible with SBS which might be the case.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dude, this a fairly straight forward migration.

You need to add a new DC into the existing SBS 2003 domain (after the usual domain prep etc.). After that install Exchange 2007 into the existing Exchange 2003 organisation.

Migrate all network services to the new servers and make sure you decommision the old servers properly.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Sparky

Apologies, I misread your post! :biggrin :biggrin

You can map a drive from your SBS to a DC in the other domain and the you can run the ADMT. Been a while since I have done this though!

How many machines are we looking at here? Can you run the profile migration wizard and then move the machine into the new domain as needed?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Creating a trust for SBS is not officially supported or possible, but hacks do exist...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure SBSmigration.com - Home have a kit for that one now, it will guide you through the whole process if your a little unsure and will also give you support during it, could be worth contacting them as it would give you that little bit more piece of mind and the cost isn't to much

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Apologies if Ive confused myself on this, but by machines do you mean user PCs or servers? In regards to PC, we have around 80 and 100 users or so. Being SBS, the limit is 75 and well chaos we have..

Cheers for the advice on this people..............Were actually looking at a external company doing the migration, as Im the sole IT person and snowed under as it is.

Ive havnt been in this role long, and havnt dealt with any migrations prior to this, so hence the questions.

One thing Ive looked at is, the transition pack, which apparently lifts the limits on SBS, converting the SBS to a fully fledged and license Standard 2003 server. This would actually solve the current user restriction issues and allow the trust relationship.I could then put exchange onto a second server, and would save us a sh1t load of money.

Sparky have you used the transition pack before?

Thomas - cheers Ill have anopther gander at the site

10. Sparky

Nope, I have migrated from SBS to a full domain by adding another DC and Exchange server into the SBS domain and then migrating.

As you said you need a trust to migrate into the already existing domain which is the problem here.

It would be good to see what the external company goes for. They may use the transition pack or they might just throw resources at this and manually migrate everything onto the new domain.

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You can force SBS2003 to loose its SBS nuances, which I have done before.

Was flying by the seat of your pants stuff, but it works :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. Sparky

Looks like you could score some consultancy work here mate. :)

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

LMAO! Craigie you're one funny guy!

14. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I feel like that everyday lately:P

Would that be through the transition pack? or just randomly slapping the SBS machine until its had enough?

The consultancy team suggested the migration to a temp DC, and then migrate again to a new server in the forest. Maybe it was how it was explained, but it seemed a long complicated affair, with around 25 days in total for the whole projec, which included prep time and actual working time.

I am thinking it would be easier, cheaper and more straight forward to just start a fresh with new servers etc, because the AD structure isnt upo to much, people ahve permissions in groups, out of groups, shake it all about groups...................and yeah its an experience.

on the bright side, Ive had coffee today:)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like a swing lol

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  16. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the advice on this and the input. Were having a review this week with hopefully a decision made shortly. to me the ideal situation is the clean break, We are also having a new leased line put in, allowing conenction straight into new domain as well put in place ready for this........it will mean both new and networks could co-exist until we decide on a switch over date as such.

This would give us the chance with a fresh approach as well have the new network up running ready to be switched over to, with only specific data, pst being migrated over.........

However, whether Ill be having any input in this project implementation is open to whether Im here in the next few months, as I am currently looking for a new employer and hope to be out of this place shortly............The whole project has been shaken up this week due to people who think they know IT becayse they have an IPhone having a good old interfere with what should and shouldnt be included in this project regardless of whats important for the IT infrastructure and its role in the workplace.

And to which...........im pretty much done here

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  17. Sparky

Do you want input? Why not kick back and let them get on with it…. :biggrin

18. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I would have liked some input with the new server builds, and VMware build, for experience. However I think the best way for the company will be for this to be done by our consultants with me having the erm nice job of going round pcs, recreating profiles, user settings etc.

The fun stuff :blink

19. Sparky

Gotta start somewhere mate :)

Can the guys not run some sorta migration script to move the profiles?

20. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

We thought about moving the profiles across and as a quick solution its possibly the answer. However as we are moving to a new domain and upgrading servers at the same time. We have decide a fresh start would be better in the long term. The reasons for this.............well prior to me startingthere has never been any real control in place regarding what users can do and apart from specific shared folders, they can pretty access what they like. Its a mess.........

Admin are denied access to profiles by default
    roaming and non roaming profiles are used
    documents are saved to C drive, mydocuments, desktop, user home drives
    mixture of win 7 and xp machines
    Users with Mail sizes up to 6 GB
    Perople have been given access to each others mail folders, group folders and not rreally defined through AD
    USers have dfferent software and gadgets installe. My fav being the football manager game I found yesterday.

Another factor is were fortunate to have a leased line being installed allowing a conenction into the new networrk(its a offsite group domain infrastructure), and this is addition to our current bonded ADSL. The idea being that we would essentially build the new and fresh VM server infrastructure in the new domain, populated with new user profiles etc.

Its obviously gonna be absolute ballache for me, and piss off users at first:|