Sat Navs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Jun 28, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi Gents,

Quickly, where can I stick my Sat Nav in my car LEGALLY? some one has just been banging on to me about how it is illegal to have it on the driver side bottom corner of the windshield. (this is UK laws) Can I stick the bloody thing back on or am I not allowed it there?

Is there even a law?

They also mentioned that listening to the radio too loudly is illegal as is eating, drinking and you can be prosecuted for crashing whilst using a hands free kit (which essentially makes hands free kits illegal too). Will someone clear this up for an inexperienced driver.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've never heard of a law about where you can stick a sat-nav.

In terms of everything else - 'driving without due care and attention' can mean just about anything.
    It really comes down to what happens while you're doing it, rather than what it is that you're doing.

The only hard and fast law I believe is the one about not using a mobile phone whilst driving, but you wouldn't notice - would you?

There have been cases of people reading while driving, rolling a fag (that's in the British sense for those of you in the US) and just about everything else.

If you broadside a police car because you were watching the lovely lady with the skimpy t-shirt, they'll have you. Likewise if you carve up an ambulance because your radio was so loud that you didn't hear the siren.

A mate of mine was done for eating a packet of crisps while driving. He pleaded no guilty and the case was thrown out as it 'wasn't in the public interest' to go to trial. I've also heard stories of people being booked while taking a drink of water while parked at red lights with the handbrake on.

I guess the rule is 'be sensible'.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Few years out of date, but here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

BS, as long as you can see where you are going then you should be fine. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. westernkings

Well his argument is that is blocks my view of the right hand side, I think it's bollocks that has been perpetuated by ridiculous stories from the SUN. So I am going to stick it back on.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well surely having it in the middle blocks the view of the middle then? :biggrin

Just punch him in the face... :twisted:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Fergal1982

If its blocking your view of the road at all, then it will be in breach of the highway code. That is an offence, and you could be done for it.

That said plenty have it, so I suppose it would only become an issue if you were in an accident.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

So where is the right place to put it then? Because surely it's common enough gadget to be considered by people creating the laws.

I also think that Sat-Nav built in middle console is more dangerous as you have to take your eyes off the road completely to look at it. Unless you're supposed to drive with someone who will do it for you. :rolleyes:

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. Fergal1982

Except that the laws were originally written before Satnav was around. Just because a gadget becomes the new "hot" thing, doesnt mean that they will immediately get around to reviewing the law with it in mind. Most likely, they turn a blind eye to it at the moment, and will do so until it becomes an obvious hazard. Much like they did with mobile phones (remember it only became illegal a few years ago?).

Technically, the whole point of a turn-by-turn sat nav, is that it will use audio to direct you. Technically, you shouldn't be taking your eyes off the road at all, for any reason, none. If you need to piss around with the sat nav settings, you should be pulling over.

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Exactly that.

If you run over a small child, the investigation is likely to include the fact that your view was 'partially obscured' by your sat nav. If you don't have a sat nav, it would include the fact that you were wearing impractical shoes for driving.

It is absolutely amazing some of the things you see drivers doing behind the wheel, so just having a sat nav stuck to your window is unlikely to attract attention. If it does, you can always tell the arresting officer that the map kept getting in your way.

And hope he has a sense of humour...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. westernkings

"Sorry officer, It was stupid I know, I'd been drinking, was in a rush getting home so was trying to keep above 90MPH and I suppose I just forgot to take it down or move it out of my way" :p