Sat Nav's

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by derkit, Jun 10, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Continuing a flavour of technological adventures, surprising I've never had a satellite navigation gizmo in the car and am looking to get one!

Anyone have any decent sites/forums/pointers etc. where to even start?! :blink

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Dont get a Navman. I have one and the maps are at least a year out of date and no updates available, plus you have to pay for the updates at around £35 per map when they do come out. It also has a habit of telling you to take the next turning just after you passed it once it recalculates a route! Just speant 3 hours driving round the blackwall tunnel with mine telling me to take a u turn as i missed the turning!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Agreed, avoid Navman. I have a Navman N20 and even though it's only 18month old, they have stopped map updates for it which I think it a bit crap if you ask me. I was happy enough with it when it was in use, but I wouldn't buy another one purely on the grounds that the lack of future support may happen with the next Navman ...

I also have a Tomtom One (v3) which I bough recently from Pc World - Wasn't a bad price actually, £109. The best web price I could find was £105. It's a great unit and I have been really pleased with it. Looks like the software support is superb as well.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Congrats on 1000 posts btw Twizzle. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Aw suck thanks, twas nothin, now i'm going drinking so no more posts tonight. (well at least semi intelligent ones)

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would also recommend the Tomtom, got the Tomtom one V2 for my birthday and can't remember how I drove to unknown places without it :lol:

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm looking to get the Tom Tom pack for the iPhone 3g :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I've have the tomtom mobile 6 on my mda vario and its always been spot on rain or sunshine:) get the tomtom and you'd be glad you did.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Some of the cheaper ones from the far east can be hacked to run TomTom software and maps, etc.

I have a MyGuide3100. The maps are slightly dated and there doesn't seem to be an easy update available. The software works well enough and the display and sound are clear. It doesn't seem as well designed as TomTom though (especially when calculating alternative routes), so I'll go for the TomTom right now.

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Never used one. I'm one of those people that never get lost when driving. I think we're called 'Men' :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

No, you're just constantly pulling over to look at a map, and have purchased every A-Z available.

Or just use your car to take the kids to school and do the shopping, and don't really go anywhere else.

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nice try

First up - nopes, I print directions out beforehand, main roads and turnings in large print in an easy to read font so that I just glance at 'em if I can't remember.

Second up - no A-Z - all I have is a battered old A3 AA atlas of Great Britain that shows main roads and little else

Third up - no kids - can't stand 'em, don't ever want 'em

Fourth up - don't shop in the car, never have - because I can't stand supermarkets. I'm lucky enough to live in a part of the country with a high ethnic population, so I get most of my food from local butchers, bakers and greengrocers - with the rest augmented by a local Lidl (I'm not too proud to admit I love Lidl!) within 150 yards walking distance of my house

Fifth up - until my current job - which requires only the odd trip to our data centres and new sites as and when we expand - I had, for seven years, done an average of between 15000 and 18000 miles per year around the whole of the South, South East, Central and Midlands areas - with occasional forays further afield (like Wales, Scotland and France)

Like I said - nice try though :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nor do I (another similarity, Z?). Plus... even if I did get lost when looking for new places, I'd simply not get enough use out of one.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

i have a tom tom

always been spot on for me

basically you get what you pay for so if you want to get one of the cheaper sat navs then go ahead, but be prepared for out of date maps and slow route calculations

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  15. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Did you have a good drink,
    sat navs dont tend to like going through tunnels but tom tom seem to pass this test i have a sony to early yet to say if it as any good.But so far the mistakes tend to be of my own making:rolleyes:

WIP: C++ and A+
  16. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

good drinksh? shince when did i drinksh? hic! (me collegue turned up at half ten last night as his date had finished, so he just had the one... i lost count)

anyway the Navman, while really usless in London (kept sending me round the O2 instead of heading towards Kensington) it has managed to get us to Evesham for the next day of work. (mind you even i could have gotten here without it.)

17. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Isn't that the hard way though?

18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Exactly the same as me Zeb - I just fancy one as a gadget/toy to place with :biggrin

Thanks for the comments guys, looks like TomTom is the way forward.

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I never learnt to drive so rarely even used one let alone owned one
    but if the iPhones got GPS built in and i take it every where, might as well use it as I will likely be on the road a lot if I get the job I'm hoping for :)

still amazes me how difficult some people find reading a map! hell if the GPS didnt speak to them they would still get lost

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  20. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Absolutely, I've got lost when trying to find a location after 5 hours driving, but have always been within a mile of two of it - and have quickly found where I needed to go.

Makes me wonder what these drivers are thinking about..... are their minds actually on the road ??? :ohmy