SAN / File Storage question

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jakamoko, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Guys - the following is an extract for a job description I received today:

Basically, I'm putting out a quick "WTF" for "HP EVA storage technology" ? I know, I know, Google would have answered by now, but I haven't much time, so I thought I'd put it to you guys and check back in later.

Thanks in advance :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

HP EVA is thier line of mid - high end SAN arrays
    'Enterprise Virtual Array'

basically its the way the san is structured, it pretty much comes pre assembled in an entire rack unit
    with the fiber switches, disk enclosures, and a management server, as well as redundant controllers and the like
    it allows for virtulisation of luns, snapshots, virtual mirroring, and other such clever features, but thats all down to the clever software that they use :)

the win2k3 geo servers refers to Geographically Dispersed clusters, these are a new clustering method in Windows 2k3, allowing servers to be far apart, in seperate datacenters whilst still maintaining thier clustered status, without the requirements for the low latency SONET connections you used to require for a geo dispered cluster (ie you needed pretty much real time mirroring of the data blocks at both sites

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/enterprise/index.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I was about to reply....... but, basically, what he said :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks Guys - that's a real help - even if I do feel I'm shooting way out of my depth here. Will give it a blast anyway.

Cheers :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Cool, good luck mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade