Salary

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NenMaster, Aug 29, 2007.

1. NenMaster

NenMaster Bit Poster

Ive been working at my current Job for about 2 months now, Im on a 3 month probationary period, so in a month ill be interviewed again and will hopefully get a permanent contract.

They said in the interview that after the 3 months I can talk more about a better salary, as it is currently 13k. My job is basically It support, over the phones, face to face and over RDP. What kind of salary should I ask for at the interview? 16k? or be a greedy get and ask for 17k.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Core And OS
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

if you dont ask you wont get :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i'd take interview and pay rise with a pinch of salt, every job i've had they haven't been to keen on the pay rise part. only way to find out is ask !

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It depends on what the wage structure at the company is.

Are there other IT support personnel? And do you know what they are on?

I only mention as, moving from 13K to 16K is more than a 20% pay rise - which looks adventurous on paper, though it sounds like a fair wage for what you do.

What are your HR department like? If you suggest 17K, are they the types that will take it badly and expect you to run out of the door if it's a lot more than they were going to offer?

I had my own review just last month - I waited until my manager told me what she wanted to set my wage to. She said 'are you happy with that'. I nearly tore her arm off and ran out the door with it :biggrin but I'm just happy to be working in IT at last :rolleyes:

But if you (are able to) wait and see what they offer, IMO, it's probably best to negotiate around their expectations.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I started working on frontline for 12K. a senior position with that company netted only about 13K. I was on 15600 by the time i left, and that was with a promotion out to another department (no wonder i took the jump to 22K with my new job with such joy).

It all depends on the company, the area, how well you perform, and exactly what you are expected to do (If all you are expected to do is record the call details and pass it on, then you are unlikely to be getting something as high as 16-17K, no matter how many problems you fix - its not your job to do so, and they are unlikely to pay you to do it!)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I also started on a low salary when I first got into IT over a year ago, it was around 12K. I have since jumped to 18K, and have a contract set out that as I pass certifications, I get a certain raise in turn, up til MCSA and 22K, then its time to sit down and work out a new deal.

I think alot of it depends on the company, is it a small or large company? How many IT staff are there? Are you 1st Line support?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

ive been workin for 6 months as an IT/Network Administrator. I have CCNA, A+ and 1 MCP (as it stands) and im only on 12K.

just make sure that when you bring up the topic of a payrise, that you dont get cocky.

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A 23% increase in salary (to 16K) is awfully steep... and a 30% one (to 17K) is even more so.

For the answer to this, you'll have to put yourself in your manager's shoes... if they can fill your position with another warm body for 13K, then the chances are low that you'll be given a huge pay raise because people are willing to do the job for that rate (or less). Now, if they can't easily fill your position for that salary, and your co-workers are making much more than 13K, then chances are good that they will give you a decent raise.

Bottom line, entry-level jobs are only worth entry-level salaries. At some point, there will be a salary ceiling that will mandate what the company is able to pay for that position. And the only way past that is to increase your responsibilities (thereby changing your position in the company through promotion) or to switch jobs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think for a starting salary your looking at around 12k-15k. I started off on 10k 4 years ago and am on a lot more than double now but it takes time. Personally I would only ask for maybe another 1k as 3 months isn't a long time for them to see what you can do. Your annual appraisal would be the time to discuss wages as that way you've bedded in and shown them what you can do so you will have more leverage then you will now plus you don't want to start off on the wrong footing with them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with what's been said, its a very sensitive topic when it comes to negotiating a salary. You want to be reasonable when asking for a wage increase.

When I was getting a raise I was asked what I wanted and then the company said what they want to offer me and I got the salary that is in between what I asked for and what the company offered.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hang on a minute, why aren't all you IT guys earning 30-50k and driving a nice company car? Isn't that what all the training companies promise as soon as you have been on their course? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I didnt go. maybe thats why.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah, of course, THAT'S where I went wrong in my career... I didn't go to an expensive training school! Just think... if I had, I'd be making six figures now, amiright? amiright? huh? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

just curious because i don't know jack about the pay structure in the UK, but seriously at my previous job i was making just below 30k doing front line phone support for a dsl company. the job sucked, but it helped me get this job which is about 20k more a year. i do understand that the pound is worth double our us dollar, but it seems crazy to see 20k referenced as good pay. forgive my ignorance on the pay structure for the rest of the world.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  15. NenMaster

NenMaster Bit Poster

dont know what any of the guys are on, theres currently 6 of us in the office, but me and another guy are it support, got the manager, and a database guy and a developer, and a guy who working on reports.

I basicly get all the helpdesk problems that are submitted, general computer problems, the other it support guy doesnt get much these days since ive been assigned most of the categories, so he can work on other projects.

what i might do is ask what they are willing to pay and negotiate around that i suppose.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Core And OS
  16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't know how comparable pay between the US and th UK is as I would imagine the cost of living is totally different.

I wouldn't say 20k is a good wage per se, but it's not a bad one either. It all depends on benefits and the hours you work. I'm on a similar amount to the one mentioned but I conisder the benefits in my job outweigh the lower salary.

I only work 37hours a week, I'm not on call and I'm not expected to work outside of my 8am - 4pm hours. This does happen on occation but it's very rare and we can take time in lieu if it does happen. My job is also in the public sector so my pension is very good by UK standards. I contribute 6% of my salary and my employer puts in 9% or thereabouts. I was also off sick for an extended period just before summer, that's pretty rare for me, but I was off in total for about 6-7weeks. I recieved full pay during this time, I wouldn't have gotten anything but statutory sick pay if I had still been with my last employer (SSP is hardly worth even claiming). I enjoy my job, my friend & colleague (and secret lover - in joke :) ) Ken is great to work with and we get on great with our boss. All of the above translates into quite a bit extra in my book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

gotcha, i am in the public sector as well, although sounds like you guys get better benefits than we do. what is the cost of living on average in the UK? i know here in Orlando to live in a nice area my house goes for 280k and thats the smallest in the neighborhood. obviously placed are much more expensive, as in california, but placed in south carolina and such are much cheaper.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I applied for a Support Analyst job last week, although the job said it wanted experience I said I was willing to learn etc.

The job advertisment also asked to state what pay you would expect.

In my covering letter I explained that I have just taken an 11% pay cut to drop me down to £17300 per annum, I though it would be cheeky to say I want £19 odd grand a year I was getting 3 months ago and said £18500 would suffice.

I know I have not had a full exposure to IT support but the most of the skills asked for I do on a regular basis and have a good knowledge of the other skills required.

Although I doubt I will get an interview I dont think the pay I have asked for is excessive.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

NenMaster,

One question that hasn't been asked by anyone else in this thread is how much money do you need to live on? Is your income enough to support all of your basic living expenses such as rent, utilities, food, and transportation? In short, can you afford to be working at least on a breakeven point where income equals expenses? Also, as a minimum, try to ask for a raise that will compensate for the rise of inflation because anything less will probably lead to you basically unable to afford to work. Do you have any benefits that may offset any personal discretionary spending? For example, paid IT exam study materials, study equipment, or exam fees. Also, since you're a member of CertForums, you're probably currently pursuing some kind of IT certification. If you had to spend your own money for study materials, study equipment, and exam fees, at what income rate increase would you need to achieve those IT certification goals? Yes, that means you need to go shopping to find out how much your study materials, study equipment, and exam fees will be, where you should also account for future inflation/price rise. Also account for building some sort of emergency fund for when your car breaks, something in your home breaks, etc.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  20. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I started on 14k and after 3 months I was boosted to 18k :)

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685