Salary negotiation

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by reverb, Mar 25, 2015.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Hi,

I'm rubbish at selling myself and frankly quite average at interviews but I think I'm good at what I do. Just wondering how I can justify to a potential employer if asked why I deserve such a big jump in salary when negotiating? Something that sounds powerful and convincing :D

I'm quite underpaid for my role compared to current market rates but this role I'm looking at right now pays up to 40% more (depending on experience) than what I earn. As generally, from what I've read or heard is that you should ask the highest amount within a salary range. I don't have all the skills they are after though from looking at the job spec.

Any tips will be welcome :) thanks

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You hit it right there "I'm quite underpaid for my role compared to current market rates", that's the only argument you need to sell.

My argument with salary negotiations is that if you're prepared to offer X during the interview and have decided to interview me then you have obviously agreed (at least prior to the actual interview) that I must be worth X.

If you're negotiating via the agent then play it back to them, remind them that the more you're on, the more commission they earn and it's in their interest to get the most for you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Thanks for your advice :)