Salary expectation question?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sub_bass, Mar 6, 2008.

1. sub_bass

sub_bass New Member

I don't know how to answer this question and would like some advice. It's for a 1st line role. I have no commercial IT experience, have no certs, have a degree in IT and based in London. Looking at job web sites, 1st line is usually no lower than £15k. I've been asked this question many times by recruitment agencies and my reply has always been about £13 or 14k. The good thing about this job is that it isn't that far from where I live so travel cost won't be that much.

2. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

11k-15k is probably what you would be looking at for 1st line. Have you tried applying for graduate schemes by any chance? Might be worth it if you haven't allready.

My first I.T. job was for my placement year at Uni, I was on 13k before tax. This role was basically a mix of general troubleshooting and support, citrix issues, active directory admin, office issues, sage, saleslogix problems, doing a bit of database stuff, remote connectivity, phone support, printer setup etc , antivirus, backup tape stuff - restoring etc. To sum up I was basically first line for any I.T. problem. If I couldn't sort it out the issue would be disussed with my two colleagues or passed on to an external I.T. support company, which was hardly ever.

I am now effectivelly an I.T. 'manager'/tech and 1/2/3rd line support for two schools each with roughly 70 'clients' e.g. laptops and pc's/printers. If I was full time I would be on nearly 16k before tax. Pretty rubbish ey? My advise is though, pay your dues, get the experiance, get certified and one day your make it.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.