Sage Payroll error

Discussion in 'Software' started by shadowwebs, Apr 29, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have just been asked a question about Sage and have never used it before in my life, so bare with me on this one... they said they are trying to save a record and is coming up with "please enter a valid department reference" ... they do not need to enter one but it's making this compulsory, so they have entered random numbers like "0", "000", "2", but none are working.

Has anyone come across this before?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Yeah, I have. What version of Sage?

- - - Updated - - -

That's how I fixed it years ago. I got the advice off the net though, so always worth a look around.

3. shadowwebs

Sage 50 Payroll... I shall give it a try that you advised, I was going to have a look on Google searches but felt be worth a try here first as a future reference pointer... cheers again, I shall update probably tomorrow on whether this has worked.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I hate Sage 50 with a passion.

Fortunately, its one thing we don't trust to me (I think it's because I'd see how much everyone gets paid, but then that's what spreadsheets are for :twisted:), and we have a consultant to do various things, but I inevitably get involved in it all.

Saying that, I hated Line 100 even more.

5. shadowwebs

As I am not a user of Sage 50, can you give me a little more info on where / how to change the accdata to accdatalive and then creating the new file I guess will be just standard play

All the users here have roaming profiles, however she has stored her Sage data on a memory stick, so am I correct in thinking all these files you have mentioned will most likely be on the memory stick?

6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Depends how you have it all set up.

Normally it's set up like a client-server, so the central database would normally be stored on the server, and then the front end on the individual computers.

On our systems, the path to the folder is \\svr01\sage\sage50\SageData\Company.000\accdata

I say this and no fooling: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A REALLY GOOD BACKUP.

On a standalone it would be c:\documents and settings\ ... etc

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Get Sage support. I have supported Sage products for years and had to migrate them as part of a network migration projects.

However I still use Sage support and it is worth the money.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs