Running virtual pc 2007

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by christoff_26, Sep 7, 2008.

1. christoff_26

christoff_26 New Member

Hi all,

I have recently downloaded virtual pc and i'm struggling to get it started. I've tried releasing the VMadditions iso file into the CD icon on the virtual PC task bar but it still wont work. Just not to sure what I have to do. I'm running XP would I be better off using VM ware?

Thanks.

2. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

This walk through should get you going. :biggrin

http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2006/09/20/virtual-pc-step-by-step/

(slightly off topic) I'm actually installing windows 2003 right now using virtual PC.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

You must first install your O/S of choice on the virtual machine (ie server 2003) THEN install the vm additions on your guest O/S.

The VM additions help with how your mouse pointer works inside and and outside the window of your Virtual machine (without it you have to press the right Alt key to release the pointer from your virtual machine)

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  4. Melanie

Melanie New Member

What can I do with a virtual pc?

WIP: BSc ICT
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With VMWare/VPC you can run multiple supported operating systems on 1 physical machine provided your PC is powerful enough :)

What you can do with a virtual PC? You can play around with settings on a virtual PC, tweak settings, play around with networking without affecting your main PC :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. christoff_26

christoff_26 New Member

This walk through should get you going.

http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2006...-step-by-step/

(slightly off topic) I'm actually installing windows 2003 right now using virtual PC.
    Today 02:03 PM

I've checked out the walkthrough and it says "First, make sure your OS boot / install disk is in your CD/DVD drive. Now make sure your machine is highlighted and click Start."

My O/S is XP and i'm wanting to install windows 2003, does that mean i need to put my XP install disk in and then it'll run windows 2003?

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I think I understand what you are trying to say.

Virtual PC is exactly the same as having one, two, three, four etc PC's physically in your room. They are just inside another PC.

Imagine having a 'blank' PC sitting in front of you, this is exactly what a Virtual PC is. You need to load the OS as you would do on any 'blank' PC. Therefore, you will need to purchase Windows Server 2003/2008 or use the free trial that comes with the MS Press Books.

The only difference if you tell the Virtual PC what type of OS you are installing, so it will configure certain elements to meet that particular OS requirements.

Hope that explains in to you a little more.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. christoff_26

christoff_26 New Member

Thanks for all your help.