Running Hyper-V within Hyper-V

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by michael78, Oct 14, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys is it possible to run Hyper-V Core as a virtual machine either in ESXi or Hyper-V. reason being I am studying for exam 70-652 Windows Server Virtualization Configuration and don't want to mess my current setup up or if possible have to dual boot. I just want to mess around with Hyper-V core to learn command line administration.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I know that it is derfinately not advised, but I'm sure that I have read somewhere of someone getting it to run on VMWare ESX.

I'll see if I can find the article / post / whatever it was.

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A guest running HV wont work if its running on a HV host. You can install the role, but as the machine cannot exclusively use the virtualization instructions of the host machine intel or amd cpu's, the services won't start.

not sure about ESX...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

I'm pretty sure you can't. I tried it a while ago just on VMWare workstation and got a message along the lines of "You cannot install this role (Hyper V) from a virtual machine". Seems like Server 2008 is aware of its surroundings and will no doubt check if it is running on virtualised hardware.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  5. michael78

ahh man looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and wipe my hard drive then :(

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You can install the role, I managed to do so... it just won't start, no matter what you do. It's also mentiones in HV training material.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. michael78

Cheers for the info all much appreciated :biggrin

8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  9. michael78