Running 3 screens off a splitter???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Mar 7, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Can anyone clear this up I have a PC that is running two screens using a cable splitter on a graphics card with only a single DVI connection on the card. They want to be able to connect a projector to this as well so basically run three screens. I've said you can't do it as you can't split the connection further. He insists they have this in another office. Am I missing something here?

From my understanding you would either need special hardware to do this but can't simply split the connection further.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not sure but I have a mate who runs 4 screens of two graphics cards, can you not get a connector for the S-Video port for the projector?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

depends how you mean. if you mean three identical outputs, then couldnt you just split the output, and add another splitter to the end of one of the connections - that would give you three outputs (all the same output though). The quality might be a bit shite though.

GBL - your mates cards will likely have dual output connections, to enable them to run to independant monitors from the one card - two cards equal 4 monitors.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

not sure if it had an s-video output, I'll have to check.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And you can buy units that will drive multiple screens from one socket. It amplifies the signal so the poor quality that comes from connecting screens in parallel is removed.

The other problem with connecting in parallel is the system where the video card queries the screen for its capabilities. This can get confused with simple parallel operation.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

S-video would be fine for TV style output. Not very good for data (i.e.windows desktop).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

As per what Harry said - an example of such is here

I am sure you will be able to purchase something similar from a local IT store.

Liq.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's also possible to have 3 seperate screens from a single video card with an extra box from Matrox. Quite clever stuff if you needed that facility. Or spread one massive desktop across 3 widescreen monitors etc..

Looking at a couple of hundred for for something like that though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Business 2d cards generally have propietrary connections to power up to 4 monitors from a single interface

that said a standard DVI connection can often not be broken down to more than two analogue signals
    with PCI-E you could just put in another 20 quid graphics card to power the projector

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0