RRAS - VPN clients - register DNS

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by hippy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

RRAS is set to use the internal networks DHCP and DNS. Looking at DHCP it wont do it for me even though you get the lease from DHCP as the RRAS server is owner of the Lease. I was hoping i could use ipconfig /registerdns but i guess considering nslookup uses my networks dns settings first before the vpn connections settings this will timeout to oblivion. I would like to do it without using host files though.

The xp client im using for VPN gets all the correct settings except not registering on DNS, i am not sure if i have missed an option in RRAS. Any ideas?

Cheers,

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Useful info here when troubleshooting name resolution over VPNs. Personally I always assign addresses outside the DHCP range from a static pool set up in RRAS - much less complicated that way and makes things easier to troubleshoot/vpn clients easier to identify.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If you using your DHCP Server via RRAS, then this takes 10 IP Addresses from the pool lease to assign to VPN clients.

Is your XP Client using a static IP Address or is it obtaining its address automatically?

I would go back and retace your configuration, from the DHCP Server Settings (see if you are specificying a particular DNS server, to your RRAS Settings and then Remote Access Policy.

Also run a dnscmd /clearcache on your DNS Server and run ipconfig /flushdns on your client. Then connect and ipconfig /register dns.

I don't have my RRAS server setup anymore otherwise I would have been able to help further.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Zeb:

Yer, i know it will probably be fine if i used a static address pool but i am being a stubborn bugger to put it mildly.

Craigie:

If you using your DHCP Server via RRAS, then this takes 10 IP Addresses from the pool lease to assign to VPN clients. - That was the reason about my DHCP comment, the 10 addresses are leased out in the name of the RRAS server not the individual clients hostname so DHCP can not help with DNS registration via dynamic updates for A and PTR records.

Is your XP Client using a static IP Address or is it obtaining its address automatically - read above

I would go back and retace your configuration, from the DHCP Server Settings (see if you are specificying a particular DNS server, to your RRAS Settings and then Remote Access Policy. - above

Also run a dnscmd /clearcache on your DNS Server and run ipconfig /flushdns on your client. Then connect and ipconfig /register dns - will try for pot luck but i am not sure how this will help if the client cannot register in DNS in the first place.

edit:

Adapter Name : {7A52C7A7-C93C-47D4-8D33-AE23E795E56B}
    Host Name : xpcomputer2
    Primary Domain Suffix : domain1.local
    DNS server list :
    194.168.8.100, 194.168.4.100
    Sent update to server : <?>
    IP Address(es) :

Aaaaaa ha! (yes im with virgin media) found the culprit! Just need to work out how to make it use my vpn connections dns.

Just went through my vpn connection settings and noticed by default the register on dns server in tcp/ip - adv - dns was not selected...

*does a little dance* working now :D thanks all!!!!!

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I should have expressed the information a bit more clearer.

The purpose behind dnscmd /clearcache on your DNS Server and run ipconfig /flushdns on your client is to have clear starting point. Ensuring that no cached information is interfering before you move onto checking your configuration settings.

I'm pleased you found your error, it's satisfying knowing where you went wrong.

I had a bloody nightmare the other day getting Exmerge to work, only to find out that Exchange Full Administrator deny's Send As and Recieve As rights.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5