RoyalMailChat Hacked

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by postman, Jun 28, 2008.

1. postman

postman Byte Poster

I'm a member of the above forum and I'm most disappointed to find that it's suffered a major hack attack tonight, what really annoys me is that all the data looks like it's gone including my approx 3500 postings:cry:

WIP: A+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Are you sure they got hacked?? Maybe they just got lost in the post!:hahaha:tongue

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

4. postman

postman Byte Poster

No it doesn't work, it just flags up as a 404 error:(. My wife tried logging on and was met by a black page with multi-coloured lettering with a name beginning MR but she closed the site down as soon as it came up without letting me see the page.

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Sorry your right the last time the webssite was cached through google was The time now is Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:19,pm | All times are GMT + 1 Hour|

Strange..how anyone can hijack the forum?:blink

6. postman

postman Byte Poster

There was an attempt/minor hack a few months ago that just put up adverts for various drugs (oxycontin etc.) but that was quickly fixed. The site is a big very popular site, with over 200,000 postings in 18 or so months.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You sure it wasn't backed up someplace, by the hosting company maybe?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. postman

postman Byte Poster

I don't know, I'm not the owner but the owner seems to think everything is lost (as quoted by his message)
    THE SITE HAS BEEN HACKED,LOOKS LIKE EVERYTHING IS LOST,WILL TRY TO SORT IT OUT AS SOON AS I CAN.

POSTMAN

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

He had a backup, right? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That site, like many others, appears to be written in PHP, and is probably one of the easily available assemblies of forum software. The snag is that many of them have vulnerabilities, which PHP unfortunately makes easy. Even CF has been hacked, although the software used here is one of the better ones.

It is a constant battle making sure that new patches are applied as and when they appear.

One of the most notoriously hackable version of forum software is phpBB, and at one time there were teams of hackers just looking for such forums in order to deface them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If everything has been lost, then they haven't been doing backups as they ought.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its the royal mail or whatever they are called now, what do you expect? They can hardly do their real job of sending and receiving mail.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  14. postman

postman Byte Poster

Update:
    ALTHOUGH THE TEMPLATES OF THE SITE HAVE GONE,THE DATABASE IS STILL IN TACK.

YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE SAFE,AS IS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES AND PASSWORDS,THESE HAVE NOT BEEN COMPROMISED.

HOPING TO GET THE SITE ONLINE IN SOME FORM BY SUNDAY NIGHT.

So it looks like all is not lost:)

15. postman

postman Byte Poster

Oh, that's not nice:eek: I could just as easily say that all computer techs are fat and lazy and they spend all their time playing D&D and reading comic books. If you think it's easy being a postman try carrying 16KG for 1 mile whilst walking at 6kph constantly and then doing it again and again and again for up to 5 hours in all weathers up to houses where even the police only go in in squads and then being told by your boss that you're underworked and overpaid, then you've got to deal with people who think it's funny to let their dog out at you saying that it'll never touch you followed by, it's never done that before. Of course there are the people who can't put numbers on their doors and just expect everyone to know that they live there, or the people who stand at the door shouting at you to come back over to them only to be given a letter that is for them but they don't want it (of course that's your fault because you should always know what they want and what they don't),or when you deliver letter to someone and they give it back to you and tell you that this person has moved up the road to a particular address, and don't even get me started on people who can't even the proper address on an envelope or the people who can't read the simple postage pricing (and put 1 stamp on a giant birthday card causing the recipient to be charged for the additional postage) and then there are the people who cannot get it into their heads that if you buy something online from outside the UK then you have to pay VAT on it, it's not made up by Royal Mail but by Customs & Excise.

Now you've got me frothing at the mouth, it's that kind of attitude that makes the posties jobs totally untenable at the moment (don't get me started on the new starts being employed on 1HR contracts and having to make up the rest of their hours with OT, would you like to have a 1HR contract? No holidays, no sick pay, no respect, no pride in the job which is one of the main reasons your mail either doesn't get to you or it gets to you usually for bedtime).

So please, before you start making comments about things you don't know about, THINK!!!!

16. Fothsn

Fothsn New Member

Well said!

/Postie btw 8) Good to see the forum not being totally wiped out I’ve not being a member on there too long, hope it gets online soonish as it’s a very good source of information and being able to rant being overworked underpaid monkeys! :biggrin

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Calm down mate, yes, I know it wasnt a nice comment but no need to call all computer geeks fat and lazy. 8)

From the rest of your post you can expect similar BS from working in IT, such as users never thanking you and expecting things done ASAP even if it means you having to work (unpaid) overtime.

Its a tough life :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah, thanks Sparky, that was well said. and of course postman are not responsible for the quality of the perceived service in England. I will say that at least your letters and cards get delivered in tact, unlike the shredded curled up wet remnants that i receive here in Australia :dry

GBL.. back off a tad dude. jeez :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. postman

postman Byte Poster

Sorry if there was any offence caused, I was just pointing out bad stereotypes.

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

No worries mate!:biggrin

So is the site back yet?? Do they know who hack it?:blink