Routers MADE EASY!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zimbo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I just finished a good paper on Routers- and what they can do. Just a basic introduction to what they are and what can be done with them! Was a paper for my uni so i have to include my sources of info etc etc. Hopefully one day Mr Tripwire and myself will re-write the MS MCSE books to the satisfaction of our many fans! :biggrin

ps. anyone thinking why the hell im posting it - cause like you guys seen in the past i share all my learning i can with this forum because its because of this forum i am in my IT career.

What Is A Router? Why Are They Used?​

A router is node, part of a network with its own IP address. It can also be a computer running specific software that enables it to become a router. Routers themselves are complicated devices and very often own operating systems themselves that managed the routing functions; an example of this is IOS from Cisco.
    A computer with two Network Interface Cards can be transformed into a router by installing Microsoft’s Windows Server 2000 or 2003 and then installing the Routing and Remote Access service. After simple configuration the computer will act as a router for two networks.

Functions

A router has two main functions. It can be used to connect multiple smaller subnetworks to form larger internetworks – this allows all the smaller networks to send data amongst themselves, provided the routers are properly configured. The other popular use of a router is using it so as to provide an Internet connection to more than one computer i.e. a network of computers using a process called Network Address Translation (NAT).

Routing

Routing is the method in which routers allow packets of data to travel from one network to another. Routers accept packets destined for remote networks and either sends them to the next router down the line or to the destination host the packed is addressed to. Routing is only possible with protocols that are routable e.g. TCP/IP and IPX/SPX. There are two types of routing: Static routing – where entries are manually added to a routing table and Dynamic routing – where routers themselves up date each other automatically.

An example of what happens during routing is illustrated and explained bellow:

[​IMG]

Hannah on a LAN in Mason wants to access a web page on www.cisco.com in Cincinnati.
    Hannah sends her data to router R1 this done by her PC which sends an Ethernet frame to R1’s MAC address. R1 knows that to get data to a PC in Cincinnati, it must forward the data to R2, instead of R3. This is where routing tables come in – an entry in R1’s table tells it any data for Cincinnati must go through R2 to get there. R2 then sends the data to the destination computer over the LAN.

Network Address Translation (NAT)

Another use for a router is for it to be able to provide Internet to more than one computer, i.e. a network. This is done through a process called NAT. What NAT does is that it allows the networked computers using private IP addresses to share one public IP address on the Internet. A router in this case also acts as a firewall because any would be hacker scanning the public IP address can not see past the router and leaves.

Conclusion

Routers have very much become the backbone of the Internet and serve two very important functions in LANs. A router today often includes other features that give it more functionality examples include:

• Built-in switch
    • ADSL modems
    • Print Servers
    • Wireless Access Points

As more and more homes now network their computers routers will always be needed so that all the computers can have access to the Internet using one subscription to an ISP so it is now not just a product used in the corporate world to join computers to share data.

Bibliography​

Books:

Odom, Wendell. Computer Networking first-step, (Indianapolis, Cisco Press, 2004)

Groth, David and Skandier, Toby. Network+ Study Guide, 4th ed. (San Francisco, Sybex Publishers, 2005)

Lowe, Doug. Networking All-in-one Desk Reference for Dummies, 2nd ed. (Indianapolis, Wiley Publishing, 2005)

Tulloch, Mitch and Tulloch, Ingrid. Microsoft Encyclopedia of Networking, 2nd ed. (Washington, Microsoft Press, 2002)

Web-based sources:

‘Router Tutorial – what is a router?’ (2006), http://www.comtechm2m.com/m2m-technology/router-tutorial.htm

‘OzCableguy's Router FAQ’, http://www.ozcableguy.com/routerfaq.html

Franklin, C.‘How Routers Work’, (2006), http://computer.howstuffworks.com/router.htm

Lowe, Scott. ‘Configure Windows Server 2003 to act as a router’, (2005), http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10879_11-5844624.html
    Thomas, Guy. ‘Routing and RAS (Remote Access Service) in Windows 2003 Server’ (2005), http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/services/RRAS_new.htm
    ‘Overview of Network Address Translation (NAT) in Windows XP’ (2005), http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/nattrnsv.mspx

If you want to download it in Word form Click here

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

thats sweet - shouldn't it go in the network section?

3. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I see some grammer issues that some proof reading will help out.

Also you might want to add a thrid function, which you touched on with NAT, Security. Routers can secure data from both internal users and external users with Access Control Lists. By doing so they become similar to a Firewall (Firewalls are basically big beefier more specialized routers).

But hey...its your paper and I think it is damn good. Hope you get at least a good grade.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks! :biggrin

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice Zimbo 8)

Now how are you getting on with the way router is pronounced in London was it the same in Cyprus? :biggrin

Here we call it a router, pronouncing route sounding like *snout*-er

There, in the UK it is pronounced rooter, which has a completely different meaning here :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good read that Zimbo :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i pronounce it like that cause of the accent then i had my prof saying no no rooter! :twisted: