Router issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimbo, Jan 15, 2009.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Just got a router off ebay.. just wanted to ask something before i started asking questions... fired it up opened hyerTerminal and after 10 mins i cant reach the command prompt! :rolleyes:

All i get is:

umm anything i can do or should i be contacting the seller for my money??? :P

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_configuration_example09186a00801d8113.shtml should help :thumbleft

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

4. Qs

Sorry man, read that way too fast. Ignore the previous link, it's of no use if the damn thing isn't getting to a prompt.

Double check everythings plugged in fine, you're using the correct port, reset the router etc and try it again.

After that, I'd go back to the seller.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i tried it a couple of times... and it just stays there. Anyone know the reason of this happening? If the connections between console and router werent ok i wouldnt get this far - so the problem is router! :(

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

corrupt IOS?

do you happen to know what the router was used for before you bought it?

7. Qs

Exactly.

Have you tried using a different terminal? Just replace everything that isn't the router and see if it gets any further. Sounds to me like the router itself though.

If it were me, I'd just see if you can get a replacement sent out, the seller should be fine with it and it saves a lot of hassle.

Qs

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no idea mate....

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i got another router which boots up fine as well as a switch! doubt they have another but i will be emailing them!!! 8)

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

just powered my other router... works fine.. so my cables etc are good... its funny how it just hangs on that stage.. does no one know what causes it? or is this one strange problem no one gets apart from me!!! any i emailed the seller hopefully ill get my money back!

11. Qs

Meh, every router that I've ever worked with (including the lab setups for my CCNA) never hung indefinitely.

So I don't quite know matey, sorry.

Qs

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That happened to me, once... reseating the memory helped, or so we thought, as it crapped the bed soon afterwards. :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

is it possible to re-image it? would it help?

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

RIGHT i got my money back!! :) and i didnt need to send back the router.... so lets try fix it!! 1st i want try install a new image. I would like some pointers please cause i cant get to the Router> prompt so how will i use the tftp server? Also how can find out how much memory i need... and lets say i need to get more or replace it.. what am i looking for DRAM right?

15. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Think you might have to get into thee boot-loader Zimbo and use xmodem to get a new ios onto the system but i really am usure as to how to go about this. I had this problem with a 3com switch a while back and this was the case but dont know it the same methods are used for Cisco routers.

Can anyone elaborate or just say if i'm talking crap!!

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  16. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

how can i find out how much flash memory i have from the ROMMON prompt? i located that the image is 16mb so if thats the size of my flash surely then this is why its not loading it? or will it?

rommon 13 > dir flash:
    File size Checksum File name
    16233080 bytes (0xf7b278) 0x058d c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-12.bin

18. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

19. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

cheers for the links mate! Im going to try it out sometime this week hopefully ill get it work.. going to try put 12.0 on and see from there... but apparently thats what is supposed to be on so fingers crossed! :biggrin