Robocopy across WAN anyone?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by garyb, Jun 9, 2007.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    We have 2 offices both with 2Mbps leased lines connected via Site2Site VPN, site 1 has Server2003, site 2 has Server2000. For years I have been using Veritas BE and LTO tape drives to backup databases & files locally for off site storage, which I really dont trust and restore times are a nightmare using this method.

Has anyone any experience using Robocopy to "mirror" files across a WAN? The initila hit will be around 30GB [Site1 >> Site2] but after that its simply updated files at source so I would like to run this overnight, perhaps 1GB total each night.

Would Robocopy suffice?

Ta

G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep - Robocopy is your boy. In fact, your scenario is on of the things it was developed specifically for, so that should make you happy :)

If you're interested, there's a GUI for RoboCopy available now - get it from this link

Quite why you'd want a GUI for such a simple tool I can't imagine - though it would probably come in useful at remote locations where you either haven't got onsite support staff or the ones you do have are pants and scared of the command-line...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Robocopy also works superb for copying end users profiles in terms of documents and pst files etc without user even knowing. Zeb the man you must be a very huge techie as you seem to know a lot of stuff:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - you reckon?

I wish that were true - we recently lost someone at work (to another firm, that is, not the great beyond!) who was a really nice bloke and, on top of that, was THE technical reference point in my organisation. I have now sort of de facto assumed that role - every time anyone wants to know something, they just ring me or rock up to my desk - and its starting to get a bit annoying - especially when I DON'T know the answer...

There are better people technically than me on this very forum - especially in their fields. I just try to give as good an answer as I can - and stay silent about topics that either don't interest me, or that i don't know enough about to give reasonable advice.

So, it might LOOK like I know what I'm talking about, but I'm just winging it most of the time :tune

:biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What about DFS (distributed file system) ? I’ve used it on some of my network installs to replicate shares to another location. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs