Roaming Profile name change question

Discussion in 'Software' started by delorean, Jun 20, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hey gang,

I have a user here who is listed correctly on the AD with the correct credentials etc except for one blip.

The user has a roaming profile which points to the name of somebody else who is no longer at the company. The user also connects to a network folder upon logging on to their computer.

Additionally, the user appears to have the correct name and alias etc etc in the various exchange tabs, but upon opening Outlook, the user is using what I assume is a mailbox under the name of said previous employee.

What I want to know is, can I edit the remote profile path to a new name (not path, just name) folder and also edit the name on the network drive path thereby clearing the old employee's name altogether, then have the user reboot and logon and it will keep everything in order?

If not, how can I go about getting this persons name changed from the old employee name to his?

Basically what I believe has happened is when the other person left, this person came in and whoever was looking after the network had just edited the existing AD user entry and not bothered with the rest of it.

Thanks! :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Are your users profile held on a dedicated server? I take it this is the case and also check in ADUC for the username and rename those including the e-mail smtp columns etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I believe it is a dedicated server yes.

I don't think I need to rename the SMTP and logon etc etc because all of that is actually set correctly.

Would I be right in thinking that I could actually just rename the profile and home paths to what I want them to be, then find said old named folders on the server, rename them to match then ask the user to reboot?

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This can be done but make sure you take a backup copy of the actual profile before renaming it as sometimes it's permission and share attributes.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

You mean the share attribs and permissions will be reset and/or corrupted?

Cool, so I can just take a copy of it and rename it to (example) "JohnDoe.OLD" or something?

6. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

You can rename the profile path in AD and the profile folder - long as they much up it's ok.

Roaming profile is done by security permissions based on SID - Even if you were to change the name of the AD account, the SID would remain the same. :) damn i learnt a lot in Quest Migrations :(

I could go into more detail but i won't, for what you wanna do, yes it will work. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  7. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Not if your just renaming.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I was referring to more of the file contents, however it's a corrupt profile then you need to rename the user.dat file to user.old in the users profile folder on the server. However, this is not the case in question.

9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Cool, didn't think it would but I am going to take a backup of the folder just to be 100% safe.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Going to give this a go shortly and see what happens. :)

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

We have this problem quite often on one of our network, simply renmaing or .old the local and server profile resolves this as when the user logs on next time it recreates the profiles from scratch. Then log on as the user, simply copy over the local profile the required files, favourites, NK2 file etc. you need and log off - works with us.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Excellent, that works for me! :)