roaming profile - 10min to log

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Andre, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Andre

Andre Nibble Poster

Hi,

On my w2000server active directory I have created an account called user1 with "profile path" on that server in a shared directory. Problem is that when I log in from other computer (WindowsXP - in the same domain) it takes 10-15 minutes to log.

Why??

Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290, Network+
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Is this your home lab?
    Do you have any large files on the desktop or my docs of that profile?

I've known misconfigured DNS settings to create this scenario in the past, check those settings, that is if you have DNS running in your network.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Simple really. The first time you log onto a new machine using an account that has a roaming profile the client machine has to build you a (local) profile copy using your roaming profile stored on the server. Once you are logged in you won't have the problem in reverse as only changes are written back to the server path. I am firly sure the client will only "download" changed attributes for future logons but I wouldn't swear to it.

P.S. the profile contains the entire contents of the My Documents folder so that is usually a prime culprit for making the logon slow due to the amount of rubbish within it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. Andre

Andre Nibble Poster

I think you might be right SimonV I've got some errors in event viewer regarding DNS. Could you possibly tell me how did you resove that time your problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290, Network+
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Whats the error and is this on the server with the DNS service?

I corrected the misconfigured DNS settings.

It was at the time I first started here and the network was in a complete mess, all the clients were using static IP addressing and alot of the DNS setting were set to our ISP's DNS servers. I setup an internal DNS service and DHCP making sure that the correct internal DNS were configured in the DHCP scope.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...