Roaming / Mandatory Profile problem Win2K

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Modey, May 22, 2005.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Had a problem at work on Friday afternoon. Windows 2000 server, and a training room with 14 new workstations (all Win2k Pro, SP4, fully patched etc..).

For the particular training needs of this room, they needed a preset homepage in IE, a couple of network printers, a preset normal template in word and one or two other bits.

So I sorted out a profile on one the workstations that was perfect and was just what was needed. So I copied this profile to the server, set up a share for it. Modified one of the accounts that was due to be using it, pointed it at the new profile.

So I logoff the workstation, log back on but the profile clearly isn't working as it should be. IE6 home page isn't set, only one of the two printers has been added, and quite strangely, it copied a new connection wizard shortcut to the desktop, which doesn't exist in the profile on the server.

I fiddled about with this for a while but could not get it to work, either as a roaming or mandatory profile. I tried it on 'clean' workstations' that had no profiles other than the default & all users ones.

Bit of a strange one, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to why it wasn't working. Before someone suggests it btw, I'm almost 100% certain it wasn't a permission problem with the profile / share itself.

I have fixed the problem another (less elegant) way. There was some other stuff that needed doing on each workstation as well, so I made the 'perfect working' profile my default user one, then ghosted this PC over the other workstations. So they all work fine now, although all the profiles that will be generated on each workstation will need cleaning out every so often.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just a thought (and prob wide of the mark as always), but when you copied the profile to the server, did you rename the file extension to .mand ? THink that needs to be in place for a mandatory profile.

<prepares to be proved wrong by all and sundry :rolleyes:>

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I tried it as both a Mandatory and Roaming Jak. I did rename the file to .man when I tried it yuppo.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

How did you copy it to the server? Did you manual copy the files from the C: or did you use the User Profiles tab in System?

Just a thought? haven't tried this as always used the User Profiles tab in System to copy a profile to the server.

Also what about looking in the event log on the local PC to see if there was any info?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I tried both methods of copying the profile to the server. No difference, still didn't work properly.

Didn't check the event viewer on the PC though. If I have time next Friday, I could check that PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015