RM 380Z Vintage find!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Enigma101, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

The geek in me really came out today!

The caretaker at school came to find me and said she had found some junk equipment in the back of the boiler room with the words reasearch machines on.."must be rubbish i was going to throw it in the skip but thought i would check with you first as it has to go in the electrical cage for scrap?"

Off i trotted with the thought of a vintage 486 pc in my head and how i was going to enjoy taking it apart and laughing at its small hard disk :blink

It was like christamas had come early when i saw a black box and matching clicky keyboard with the words Reasearch machines 380Z on the front! :eek:

In the electrical cage then she said
    I could not grab the heavy mainframe style box and keyboard quick enough nearly giving myself a hernia in the process!
    No way thats a museum piece i said
    She laughed and said something along the lines of i need to get out more...box and keyboard were quickly transported into the back of my car :biggrin

Comes complete with two 5 1/4 disk drives and lots of ports, and looks to have been made in 1981

On investigation this afternoon it appears someone has tried to repair the power supply and there are leads hanging out, so have not attempted to plug it in yet.

Does anyone know much about this machine and where i can get a service/user manual?
    Have you had a similar vintage find?

This is it but without the monitor-

[​IMG]

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Nice find!

Just had a quick look on wiki, and it lists quite a few resources (near the bottom of page).

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Wow, that thing is also as old as you (which in computer terms is ancient :D)!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  4. stevetmq

stevetmq New Member

Well the pic shows the RM-380Z that belonged to my School (Lings Upper School) (look at the name on the keyboard) It belonged to me and should be in the hands of a friend in Peterbrough. I can only asome that your computer is like the one in the photo.

Please e-mail me I have lots of information including manules and websits.