RIS on a Member Server problem

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by zimbo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

This is my first time im putting RIS on a member server and i got all my services working (DNS, DHCP etc) created my images and all and everything passed the test during the installation. DHCP is working and gives IP to my clients that already have XP running.

BUT im trying to install a new client using RIS and the new blank machine wont get an IP.

Domain Controller runs: DNS and DHCP
    Member Server : RIS

These use static IPs. Im using VMWare too. :oops: Now is the problem VMWare or do i need to do something on my member server as the RIS and DHCP are on different servers? Or is it vmware playing tricks? :oops:

Edit: I just install DHCP on the RIS server and it works BUT i dont want it to work like that i want only RIS to run on my member server and DHCP on another... there must be a way.. Thanks for the help in advance!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There must be a way, I’ve installed a member server running RIS and a SBS was the main server, DHCP was running on SBS. Will have a look later to see how it is set up 8)

Does this help?
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/24045/24045.html

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

did you define dhcp options 60, 66 and 67 on the dhcp server?

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i tried that one thanks!

@d - err what? :biggrin

EDIT: done some reading on it now but not sure on what i have to do...

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

well, by defining those options, the dhcp server tells the pxe client where to find the ris server. i'll try to find some docs.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

had a look on the ms kb but it didnt say much..

7. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

nah, look at technet. kb hasn't got much. there's this, but it doesn't say how to define them.
    by the way, these dhcp options are really only important in a routed environment. if you have everything in the same subnet, then all this is irrelevant.

8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

forget option 60 for the moment, and try this:

option 66: ip address of ris server
    option 67: oschooser\i386\startrom.com

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

1st i am on the same subnet.. and how do i configure the options:

option 66: ip address of ris server
    option 67: oschooser\i386\startrom.com

:oops:

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you see i knew something wasnt right both server are in the range 192.168.1.0/24 but without the DHCP service running on the RIS server (member server) it doesnt work! :blink and i thought i would re-pharse something i got a router between me and my ADSL modem - but im working with VMWare so i dont think it brings that into play...

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if someone could maybe put this in another way because maybe i didnt understand it well and my problem could be this:

12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

open dhcp snapin, select server, select scope, select scope options, right click, select configure options.

but if both servers and the client are on the same subnet, this is not necessary. vmware should not be a hindering factor.

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so then whats up here? cant you run RIS and not have DHCP on the same server? :blink

14. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

no, ris and dhcp do not have to be on the same server. (but you must authorize the ris server as if it were a dhcp server. :biggrin ).

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah right click it and click properties and put a tick in this check box... it works great d if the 2 services are on the same server.. different servers and we have a problem...

16. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

:blink

i understand the problem, zimbo. i'm just telling you that it is possible, as a matter of fact, i'm looking at such a setup right now, but i don't know why it's not working for you. have you tried the dhcp options, even though it shouldn't be required?

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

for option 67 is the the value i enter or is oschooser a variable like that?

18. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

that is the value. you should have an oschooser folder, plus subsequent subfolders, on your ris server.

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:oops: thanks... it works! but now im just faced with a blue screen. :( it displayed OS Chooser v5.2 on the screen for a few min then showed me a blue screen... :blink first time thats happened..

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

right working... now listen up because ill say it only once!! THANKS D!!! :biggrin This is what i did... opened ADUC and opened the permissions of the image im trying to install.. i added everyone full control (even though i have it already on the share and NTFS permissions and now im off.. :blink

Thanks d-faktor! BUT do you mind explaining what we did in the RIS options there? Just so i make sure i know what i learnt! :biggrin