RIS - how important ??

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Snow-Munki, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Snow-Munki

Snow-Munki Bit Poster

Hi,

Just reading up on my 70-270 study guide. There was a fairly large chapter on RIS and was wondering how important it is ? I'm pretty sure i understand it but should i go a step further and build a VMware virtual domain and test it ??

As at work we use Sysprep so never need to use RIS. I understand the theory and basics about it though.

Thanks

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Snow-Munki,

Since you mention "...at work...", does your work use a Microsoft domain?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I haven’t used RIS at work either (we use Ghost server) but for the 70-270 I setup a RIS server and rolled out XP to a PC. Helped me for the 70-270 exam. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What do you do with the machines after they have been syspreped?

5. Snow-Munki

Snow-Munki Bit Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Yup in a Microsoft Domain. What we normally do here is use Sysprep or newsid and image a machine. Then use Ghost Console to deploy the image to multiple clients if necessary.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you prefer not too, then you don't need to setup a RIS server for the 270 really. It's enough to know what it is and how it works really. You may not even get asked about it. Or knowing MS you may get 8 questions in a row.

If you have the facilities the time and the inclination then it's a good learning exercise.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada